What's the best formula to use?

I don't want to admit that I am using formula, but only for supplementing, but I am getting her off of it once My baby gains weight, it's just for a back up. But I am just carious. She uses similac the blue one, doctors choice. I was going to use Nestle Good Start.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 8:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whichever one works for your child. There isn't one that is any better than the other. It's all in what works best and that your child can tolerate best. The formulas are nearly all identical (IE; Enfamil w/Iron, Nestle Good Start w/Iron, Similac w/iron, etc..) You can use Nestle Good Start as long as you keep within the same 'type' (Just look at the ingredients and compare)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• BTW, if your child doesn't seem to have digestive issues or anything like that the Nestle Good Start w/iron is just as good as any other formula out there.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Wal-mart Organic.
    And don't be ashamed of using formula. Both my girls were formula fed babies. They are both extremely healthy and much more intelligent than any breast fed baby I've ever come across.
    Both my girls were reading books and spelling by age 2. The FDA recently released a report stating that nursing your baby isn't any healthier than formula and remember breast milk does not contain a sufficient supply of iron for proper brain development. So you are doing a good thing by giving your baby formula. Wal-mart organic is the best of the organics. It's about $12 a can and unless you eat an organic diet it's healthier than your breast milk!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• well i use emfilmil gentel ease but when my son gets constipated i give him Good start comfort protrien one and he helps with his bowel movement but makes him spit up more so i use it for a day and go back to emfilmil. I think simlac and emfilmil are the same good start just has the whet or whey protiens in it for easy digest.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I physically couldn't breast feed. So had no choice but to use formula and my kids did fine. We only used Enfamil (personal preference). But just use what works best for you child. Double check with the particular brand also. Sometimes they will mail you coupons.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Nothing wrong with formula feeding in my opinion. We use the Target brand formula. The ingredients are exactly the same as Similac. If I recall correctly, the Target brand actually has more vitamins. And it's only $11 per can.
    turtlegirl115

Answer by turtlegirl115 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If you're not planning on continuing to supplement (and I really don't understand your problem with it...it's nothing to be ashamed of), don't switch formulas around. Keep her on what she is taking well, and what the doctor recommended. Switching too much MIGHT upset a tummy, but it might not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Supplementing with formula will decrease your supply. If you are keeping it onhand for emergencies, then stick with sample sizes

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I had to use soy for my son because he spit up so much and would cry alot when he did. He has WIC so they gave us Similac. When we bought the formula, we would buy Parent's Choice Soy. It is cheaper but the same. He had no problem going between the 2 but I know some childern do.
    jmetz4

Answer by jmetz4 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My DD's ped told me when she was 2 wks old that if/when i started formula feeding her, to buy what ever was cheapest!!! She said all formula has to be regulated by the FDA, and if you compare the labels they are all basically the same- so you really are just paying for the name. I used Wal Mart brand SOY formula- DD had issues with lactose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009