Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

another darn question :p

so when we go to court to decide the whole custody thing;
If there's no way to prove that I'm an "un-fit mother", how hard will it be for the dad to get full time custody?

& does the amount of money you bring home from work have an affect on the judge's decision?


Asked by brookethomas at 8:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • most cases moms end up with the majority of custody as long as like you said you're not unfit. the amount of money usually is a factor in who pays child support and how much. if you bring home more than him, he may not have to pay as much. gl!

    Answer by AmandaN1 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • they wont take ur baby from u,hell my sisters do drugs and they always got to keep there babies,as long as the baby has everything it needs,like she said,the moms usaly end up with the my huspands case, his kids mother didnt want the kid and the judge kept asking her are u sure,trying to talk her out of giving him up.

    Answer by angelairelan at 9:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • What does your lawyer say?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • If both parents are fit the mom always has first "Rights" to full custody UNLESS she is willing to offer up joint custody.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • You will have sole custody but he would most likely get visitation...depending on the situation. And the money situation....well that would be child support. If he makes more than you, he would have to pay you more....the richer person does not get custody based off of that fact. Children belong with their mother unless a judge sees that this is not the best for them.

    Answer by soveryconfused at 11:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • Unless the other parent is a threat to the wellbeing of the child and the parent fights they are not going to just directly award sole custody to either parent. They will award joint custody.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

  • Funny how men threaten to get full custody, must be a pride thing lol. It is very very hard to prove someone unfit. So unless you have a crack habit you are not telling us about you should be fine. I forget what it is called but courts tend to live by the rule that young kids are better off with their moms. I would not worry about it. At best, if he pushes, he may get joint but he won't get sole custody. Good luck.

    Answer by salexander at 2:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009