My baby is 5 days old and she hasn't pooped since yesterday..is something wrong?

it was probably around 6 or so yestrday that she had a full diaper.i was havin problems breast feeding so we were givin her both formula & breast milk since monday.yesterday i was able to get a pump that would finally work,8 so thats what she's been getting strictly since yesterday except last night around 3 or so i couldn't pump in time and she was hungry and has problems latching onto my nipple so i had to make her a bottle of formula.she went back to sleep. my mother said that this morning around 9 she changed a diaper that had a small amount of poop in it but only about a dime size.all day weve bn giving her the milk ive pumped but now i'm even having problems getting milk to come out of my breasts with the pump. like maybe an ounce from combining the milk expressed from both breasts in a 20 min period of pumping. so we had to give her a formula bottle. please help.y has my milk slowed n y is she havin trouble pooping

yours.truly

Asked by yours.truly at 8:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, doctors tell us that babies can go 7 days without pooping, tho I wouldn't push that. Formula contains iron so your baby is less likely to poop every day. If she stops peeing, that's a big deal, but pooping, that can go a day or 2 without a call to the doctor. My girls still only poop every other day and their 2 and 5 year old.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My Daughter had asked the same Questions and even took The baby To the doctor . It is Normal for breast fed Babies to not have a  bowl Movements every Day . He said That the breast Milk is so easy to digest that it is even absorbed Not hanging in the stomach waiting to pass. Formula is not absorbed so she may only have small amounts as you have been seeing.

GrandmaRBN

Answer by GrandmaRBN at 8:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Oh and breathe! As stressful as this seems right now, there really isn’t too much to it - they eat, they scream and if you’re lucky they sleep – don’t expect to be lucky! In between all that, they pee and poop. If you feel yourself getting stressed out, just put the baby down, leave the room and count to 10. I’ve been there, the first baby is the hardest and you’re going to feel like an idiot and ill-equipped. You’re neither. You are doing a wonderful job. Both my girls were formula fed babies and they were both reading books by age 2. They are rarely sick and get over any virus within hours. Breast feed because you want too, not because a bunch of “know it all moms” tell you it’s the best thing for your baby. Only YOU know what is best for your baby, that’s why you are here now asking for advice.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my baby is a week and i got scared n took her to the e.r because she didnt poop for 3 days.they stuck the thermometer up her butt to take her temp n she pooped right there.they said its normal especially with breastfed babies.she was trying 2 push and just farting n she would cry a little but its ok shell go in time.you can try putting lubricant like vaseline on a qtip or a thermometer and stick it in her butt a half inch.i couldnt do it because shes my little baby so i waited and eventually she pooped.when she pooped lord have mercy be ready for a mess trust me.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 9:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Formula fed or breast fed, it's normal for babies not to poop every day. Breastfed babies do not have the market cornered when it comes to not pooping every day.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• n the reason y they dont poop as much is because the breastmilk is absorbed by there body quicker then formula thats y they eat more constantly.if u were only formula feeding it could of been because of the iron
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 9:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i ahve a question do u poop eevry day? is k for baby not to poop everyday, my ds is bf and he can go 5 -6 days with out pooping my dd was ff na dshe would poop every other day or every 3 days and it was normal
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would call your pedi, just to make sure. My son didn't poop after I brought him home, and pedi said it was fine....5 days later I was in the hopsital for days because his bilirubin (sp?) count was thru the roof and he was really jaundiced
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It is completely normal. I have a 5 week old son and we had the same problem...still do kind of. Babies take about 2 months to figure out totally how to push and clean themselves out so being only 5 days old, your baby probably still hasn't figured out how everything works. Try pumping her legs back and forth and moving them in a bicycle motion...that usually works for my son. Breastmilk remember, also has very little waste in it so even though they say babies should poop after every meal, even if its just a little bit that's okay. Give her some time. At 5 weeks my son still is having trouble. He never goes a day without pooping (anymore) but it still takes him awhile to push it out.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2009