do you nurse your toddler

just wondering, i know it's a good bond, but not for to old, no more then like 3 yrs of age. some mom's say just at night, and they pump to use it in their foods or cup to have a healthy toddler. for health reasons, doctors recommended it

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 8:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my little one is 15months and we are in the process of weaning,so i have recently started to just feed her when she goes to bed at night.i dont think a child should eat from mom after 2 personal opion.becouse there old enought to rember and fight u for ur boob.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Just don't be like those women who let their kids breast feed until they're 7 or 8 cuz that's just wrong. LoL. I'm all for breast feeding for health reasons btw. Just pump it and give it to them once they get old enough to fight you for your boob as pp said.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My dd is 29 months and I've never had a problem with her "fighting for my boob." Nursing manners are an important part of toddler nursing. Just like manners are important with any toddler. The WHO actually recommends nursing until 'at least 2" and then continueing as long as momma and baby are happy with it. I personally believe in child led weaning. When they no longer have a need for it, they won't do it any more.
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 9:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my son is 23 mos old and breastfed. he usually nurses 2-4 times per day, but he actually only nurses for a couple minute each time now. he also is well-behaved and will ask, and i usually say ok. but usually it's at predictable times, like before bed, before nap, 5:00 in the morning.

i tend to agree with the WHO that it's good for toddlers and moms. :D
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• There are no nutrients in breastmilk that a 3 year old isn't going to be getting in other foods.. There is absolutely no reason to be nursing or pumping and giving breastmilk to a 3 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If a child is old enough to "ask" to breastfeed that child is way too old.
    Anonymous

• I hope to nurse my dd until she's 3 at LEAST. She has multiple food allergies and her pedi and allergist have recommended that I nurse as long as we can. (He actually jokingly said until college! lol)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:10 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• yeah, anon 11:14 #1, but there are hormones and human milk proteins and antibodies that reduce the risk of cancer and diabetes! :)
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My DD is nursing at 22 mos, about two times a day when I'm working at 2-4 when I'm not. I'll let it go when she wants to, but I do think about the fact that just 6 months ago she was nursing 8 times a day!

To anon :14 #2--my DD could ask for milk when she was 9 mos. Hell, she was asking for it when she was born! Why do you think babies cry sometimes? because they're hungry. That was her way of telling me it was time to eat.

And to anon :14 #1, Kat770 has it right :)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I'm nursing DS at 15mos. We have no plans of stopping until he's ready. It's great when he's teething late at night. It soothes him and lets us sleep. And as for asking for it, he learned sign so now he signs for milk, but usually bangs his head against my chest and pinches my chest if I do not respond right away, LOL! I've always had A LOT of support so I don't see a problem in nursing 'til he's 3!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:06 AM on Sep. 14, 2009