Do breastfed babies weigh differently then formula fed?

I am just carious, because My daughter is a little slow the past 3 weeks with her weight. she is 6 lbs 12 oz.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 8:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my little one is 15 months now and always been in her 90th percentile
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I dont think so but my sons are different. My first was ff and my second is bf now and at two months his 16 ibs which my first was smaller but I dont think so cause I know someone whos baby is ff and his bigger then my son was at his age which the baby is 7 months and is 27 lbs and mines was 17lb
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• typically bf babies grow at a slightly different rate the formula fed babies. Bf don't get empty nutrients and they only eat when they are hungry and until they are full as opposed to be encouraged to eat a certain number of oz. Kellymom.com has the different growth curves on it. I wouldn't worry unless she starts losing weight, they all grow at different rates wither they are bf or ff.
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 9:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Some do, some don't. But then, some breast fed babies weigh less than other breastfed babies....some formula fed babies weigh less than other formula fed babies.

Some people claim there has to be different percentile charts for the two types of "feeds"....some claim there doesn't need to be...some claim percentile charts are a bunch of hooey.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my daughter would latch on for about 5 days and we had to give her formula, and she ended up losing some weight. when she finally latched on, she gained weight well and shes now always in the 90th percentile.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• ALL babies are different, it doesn't matter if they are BF or FF. My babies were both wonderfully healthy formula fed babies. They are never sick and are very bright. BF can weigh less because the milk tends to just go right through them and if the mom isn't getting the nutrients she needs then the baby isn't either so many BF babies don't get what they need. But again it's usually the child and the genes, not the way you feed them.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• ff babies tend to gained weight a lil faster then bf babies
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• both of mine were ff'd and @ at 4weeks both weighed 11lbs someodd ozs

dd was 9lbs3oz @ birth---born 3weeks early
    ds was 8lbs6oz---born 4 weeks early
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My first baby was EBF and gained pretty well. My 2nd & 3rd were bf for a few weeks then on formula, one was slow and one gained fairly well - on the boob. Last baby could barely hang on with only breastmilk (lost almost a pound in 2 weeks) but gained like crazy on formula. It all depends on the baby and how fatty your breastmilk is. Part of that is why they say to feed baby off one side only, instead of forcing them to switch halfway through a feeding - the fatty hindmilk is what helps them gain, and by forcing them to switch they're not getting that - it was a small part of my last baby's problem, he filled up on foremilk and wasn't hungry for the hindmilk (I had no supply issues!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• FF babies tend to gain steady all the time from birth..BF babies lose 10% of body weight the first weeks then gain 6 or so oz a week til 4 months then 4-5 oz a week til 6 months then 3-5 oz til 9 months...so slower gain.
    kellymom.com has GREAT calculators, charts and everything.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html
    World health organization actually has 2 different charts for BF babies and for FF babies
    http://motheringtools.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=17
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009