Heartburn remedies? Headaches too..

I'm 10 weeks pregnant today, and the stuff that my OB said was safe to take, Tums, Pepcid, stuff like that isn't cutting it anymore. It doesn't work, at all.
I've tried smaller meals. No sugary foods. No greasy foods. No spicy food, nothing. Even a glass of water gives me REALLY bad heartburn. I'm a lot more gassy, and whenever I burp it brings up acid.

Also, I've been getting bad headaches. It just throbs throughout my entire head, and Tylenol isn't working either... *sigh*

Did any of you have this problem? What were you allowed to take? What do you suggest?
I'm calling my doc on Monday morning. I've officially given up.

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 9:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I can help with the heartburn. I took Tums and I believe that led to my pregnancy anemia so lay off those. Talk to your doc about Prilosec. I got the prescribed version and only had to take 1 a day and had NO heartburn after that. It had gotten so bad that I had to try to sleep upright and often felt like I was going to throw up because of the heartburn. Prilosec was great!
    Now the headaches I don't know about. You should ask your doctor because headaches can mean so many things from minor to important.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Are you taking prenatals? They might be causeing the heartburn and stomach upsets.

As for headaches... that can be a sign of dehydration (which if you are having trouble even drinking water that can cause it).

For hearburn you can try to drink water between meals rather than with meals might help. Avoid citrus juices and go for pear or mango. Eat fresh apples. Eat fresh cabbage or drink cabbage juice. Also brown rice or potatoes.

Be sure you are getting enough calcium, not enough can cause muscle tension and thus headaches. Also be sure to get 90-100 grams of protein a day.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Try papaya enzyme; you can buy it at a health food store or a natural food store (like whole foods).

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009