Do contractions have to hurt?

I have been having contractions for the last 2 days some hurt and some don’t. Yesterday I had a bunch for a few hours about 15 min apart then they stopped. Today I have had a few here and there but nothing worth counting. Now im having them they started 10 min apart and are now less then 5 but very little pain. Very uncomfortable squeezing my back only hurts a little and I can walk and talk threw them. What should I be thinking? Im not ready to go to the hospital because I just feel like I should be in a lot more pain like I was with my first. Oh and I will be 38 weeks tomorrow.

babyjohnsmommy

Asked by babyjohnsmommy at 9:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no they dont have to hurt if they are 5 minutes apart consistantly you need to go to the hospital just because they dont hurt doesnt mean your not dialating
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I'd call labor and delivery and talk with them. I didn't have pain with my second or third child.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It sounds to me like you're in labor.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• WIth my second son my contraction NEVER got any less than 12min. apart. I didn't believe i was in real labor until i went to the hospital and i was 6cm dialated. My contractions were not that bad with my second baby. The contractions didn't get any closer than 10min. apart until i was 9cm. dialated. I was at 38 weeks when i gave birth to all of my children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I forgot to add that my contractions were consistant and didn't let up. That is when i realized it was real labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• sounds like Braxton hicks contractions. inconsistant and not doing anything to your cervix.

how long have you been timing them for?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would go to labor and delivery, every 5 mins is a good sign. Its better to go up there and be sent home than to have your baby at home lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 9:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• some women don't experience pain during labor so it could be. personally i wouldn't want to go to the dr yet because they might put you on the clock even if your body is just getting ready. good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Nope. Contractions don't need to hurt. My advice is stay home as long as possible. Labor is always much easier to handle in your home, without hospital constraints.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If you are having contractions that are consistantly 5 mins apart for at least 1 hour, then you need to go to the hospital because that usually means you are in active labor. When my contractions got to 5 mins apart they hurt but it wasn't unbearable. I was still very comfortable at home...I got to the hospital and I was already 3/4cm.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2009