Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take them away?

We have had two boys under 2. He's physically and emotionally/verbally abusive to me. He controls me financially and by my status. He criticizes me about the way I take care of them daily although I am their primary caretaker; days and most nights. I've been advised to call DV hotlines but I am afraid to take the boys away. I am also afraid of what could happen to me.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • yes - take the kids & leave it will only get worse...

    Answer by scooterpooter at 9:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • Get ahold of the local women's shelter and they can be a big help to you in getting a restraining order for you and your kids. They can also help with shelter and other things to get you on your feet. At least CALL and talk to them. They don't judge, they are there to help you!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • yes, don't wait until he starts on the kids too

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • A DV hotline will have a counselor you can talk to.
    How you are feeling is how many women feel, you are not alone.
    It can't hurt to call.
    No one will make you leave. But they can help you form a plan so that when you leave you and your precious boys will be safe.
    Make the call.

    Answer by Drewlove at 9:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • Now although I will say please take your babies and get out of their while you can, I also must say that unfortunatly, unless you have physical proof that he is a danger to the children as well, you could get in a lot of trouble for taking them out of state. CPS won't do much. So whatever you do, don't take them out of state. A womens shelter is probably going to be your best option until you can get a lawyer and contest for full custody. During a fight with my fiance, I wanted to take my daughter to North Carolina to see my aunt and uncle. Now even with no intention of moving there, I called the local police department and asked them if I could, and I was told that no matter what, unless I have a signed and notorized paper from her father, to not take her across state lines, even for vacation Good luck mama. you are in my thoughts.

    Answer by emmas_mama07 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

  • Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.