Where can I find good information/videos on circumcision? -Still undecided- *Opinions would be awsome, just please BE NICE*

Goodevening ladies. I am due with my first son anytime between now and the middle of October. At first, I was all for circumcising. (Did I spell that right?) However lately, I have got a lot of opinions both ways.

So I need to know if you ladies know where I can find good information on it, and videos? The only videos I found on Youtube were the old way of circumsising, not the way that uses a ring, (which is what my dr uses)

And if you would like to share, why you did/didn't circumcise? PLEASE BE NICE!

emmas_mama07

Asked by emmas_mama07 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I personally had my son circ'd. My fiance is, and he wanted our son to be too. I'll be honest....it's a hard thing to go thru, changing diapers for the first few days but I guess in the long run it's better. I mean, sometimes I think-what if I hadn't had it done, and one day he's taking a bath/shower with daddy and asks why his is different? AWKWARD!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I didn't circ my son because there is no medical necessity AT ALL.. it isn't cleaner, doesn't prevent any infections and isn't any easier to care for than a non-circ'd penis and the most important one of all I didn't have to put my little one through any more pain than he needed to be in (Anyone who says it doesn't cause pain is full of you know what!).. To each their own but most people are so misinformed about circumcision and choose to do it only because "I don't want my son to get an infection" , "it's easier to clean" and the best one by far is "because an uncirc'd penis looks funny" Who gives a damn what it looks like? It's no different than any other cosmetic surgery IMO.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• "and one day he's taking a bath/shower with daddy and asks why his is different? AWKWARD! "

Been there , done that already with my son (His dad is circ'd, he isn't and he has asked why his daddy's looked funny).. You explain everyone is different and move on.. It's no different than when he grows up and wonders why little Jimmy is bigger/smaller than he is or why Charlie's is shaped differently than his is.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I was exactly where you were before I had my DS. There is a lot of propaganda on both sides telling people how wrong it is to circ/not circ for all sorts of reasons. It took me along time to sort through all the rhetoric but I found that Medically the argument for circing or not circing are about even. There are benefits to both and drawbacks to both. The one thing that tipped me over to not circing is it's not medically necessary and I am not comfortable with my kids undergoing ANY medical procedure that is not medically necessary and doesn't have a clear benefit. http://www.cps.ca/english/statements/FN/fn96-01.htm you may want to read this from the Candian Pediatric Society. It gives some good info.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 9:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Oh and I shoudl say my DH is circd.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 9:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• OK I was like you at first, all for it, until I did the research. I looked at sites like the mayo clinic and the american medical association, sites like that you're getting actual facts, not somebodies biased opinion, but honestly it's still very vague. I searched A LOT and found some actual studies with numbers behind them and here is what I've deduced; It does reduce risks of infections but only slightly, the studies I looked at al said that it reduces infections like uti's by 1.4-4.7%, so it's a minute amount. As far as the STD thing goes all the sites I looked at either said the studies were inconclusive(no proof either way) Or they said the chances were reduced but less than 1%. There are also a lot of risks with getting it done that are scary and I would prefer not to list b/c they are gruesome and I'm not trying to use scare tactics. One of the things that really made up my mind was the fact that insurance doesn'tCONT
    shawneewaiting

Answer by shawneewaiting at 9:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• CONT cover it so that says a lot about how necessary it really is, plus it very commonly causes latching problems if you want to breastfeed. I do think that men look better with it done, but that's not enough for me. Ultimately though it's just not enough benefits for me to put my baby through the pain. When my girls were born I had such an overwhelming desire to stop any pain they might ever feel and I just can't imagine doing it to my son for the small amount of benefits(if any) But let me stress that while I wouldn't do it I don't think the people that choose to are horrible or mean, just different. The videos I watched I just searched for on yahoo.com video search, but I warn you they are very sad. Whatever you choose to do good luck with your precious child and congrats. Also good for you for not wanting to listen to just your doc and do your own research, every mom should be that way.
    shawneewaiting

Answer by shawneewaiting at 10:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My husband isn't circumsized and he really wants to get our son circumsized if we ever have one. He says girls have been grossed out about it and he feels out of place. I personally dont want to because one of my friends had her son circumsized and I guess they did it wrong because half of it grew back so he was half circumsized half not. There is pros and cons either way. The main thing for my husband was the social aspect. His friends dont know he isn't cirumsized and they talk about how disgusting it is when someone isn't circumsized and it kind of makes him feel deformed. Sorry I probably wasn't any help....Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I didn't allow it for both my boys because thier dad wasn't. It didn't matter to me one way or another and especially because the ped's doctor didn't think I needed to. Plus the pain and chance of infection made my mind up for me. When they grow up they can have it done themselves.
    I think I did them a favor, SINCE I watched Oprah and heard Dr Oz say uncirc'd men have more sensation than circ'd men! :-)
    kivaughansmom

Answer by kivaughansmom at 10:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• try babytalk.com they have videos on things like that- i chose to circ my boys (i have had 5 boys, 1 passed away 2 days after he was born, so i have 4 living) and the reason y i chose to circ them is because i heard that it was cleaner and healthier, not sure if that is really true but it made me feel more comfortable, also my children's father is circumcised and so we thought it would be best for them to "look" like daddy

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2009