Need help: Potluck at work

We are having a surprise potluck for someone's birthday at work on Friday. I have no ideas. Birthday girl doesn't eat any seafood, but that's about it. The party is right after a meeting off-site, so I don't know if there's a refrigerator or microwave or anything at all. I have a small cooler (like the size that a 6 pack fits in). Can you think of anything I can bring that doesn't require ANY last minute prep or refrigeration? There's about 15-20 people invited, but we always have too much food.

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Spinach dip. Go out a buy that knorr veggie dip. Add one package of spinich and a little of sour cream, there are a couple other ingrediants on the back of the package but its easy. Then hollow out a big bread bowl. ( i perfer pumpernickel) and use for dipping!! Crackers, the extra bread, veggies mmm spinach dips makes it all better.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Chickpea-Spinach Salad with Spiced Yogurt Dressing
    DRESSING
    1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    SALAD
    1.5 cups home cooked, or 1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
    1 cup diced peeled cucumber (I use zucchini or broccoli)
    1 cup diced celery or fennel (I use jicama)
    1 cu p grated ca rrots
    10 cups small spinach leaves or mesclun salad greens (about 8 ounces)

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• To prepare dressing: Whisk yogurt, lemon juice, oil, cumin, ginger and garlic in a small bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. To prepare salad: Combine chickpeas, cucumber, celery (or fennel) and carrots in a medium bowl. Add half the dressing and toss to coat.
    Toss spinach (or mesclun) in a large bowl with the remaining dressing. Divide the greens among 6 plates and top with the vegetables. Serve immediately. MAKES 6 SERVINGS NOTE: When I feel ambitious, I make croutons from pita; for a crowd, top with vegetables in the serving bowl.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Jars of dips, plus chips and other dippers, is all that I can think of that require no refrigeration or warming.

Answer by Bmat at 10:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• brown some ground beef add taco seasoning. mix it in w/nacho cheese and throw it into a crock pot, you can just plug it in to warm it up when its time. serve w/tortilla chips.
    you could put frozen wings in a crock pot too, or lil smokies and bbq sauce. those types of things, and then all you have to do is plug it up to warm it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• A fresh fruit platter!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• OMGoodness, thanks you guys!!! I'm loving that spinach dip idea, and fresh fruit sounds perfect and easy! I really appreciate the suggestions, I just didn't have a clue!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009