what could be wrong?

I am babysitting my friends two kids who I have known ever since they were born. The oldest is a two year old boy. I think something is wrong with him but im not sure what. Heres the problem. He hardley ever talks and when he does its just jabber or only one word, when hes happy and playing sometimes he will just suddenly quit and go into a daze, and he is very aggressive. Is this a sign of autism or something? I wouldnt dare tell his mother I think something is wrong but I know he is different than other kids his age.

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 10:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• if you've known him since birth, and you think something is wrong with it. you should say something to his mother, she may not have noticed or even realize how different he is from other children. just maybe, hey i noticed he does this alot wonder why? that way you aren't flat out saying something is wrong w/your child. as for what it could be i don't know, it does sound like some signs of autism i've heard of, and seen in older children (like 8 or 9) but don't have personal experience w/the disease (beyond 2 little boys at a pool i used to lifeguard at having it) so i don't know. but i'd bring it up to her. you'd feel awful if you never said anything and 5 yrs from now they diagnose him w/something that could have been diagnosed and worked on now, just b/c she doesn't know the signs and has to wait til he gets to school for a teacher to see it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Does he interact with you and others? I know several ppl with autistic children and they always say that was a big thing they noticed around that age.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Sounds like absentee seizure's my youngest girl Zora has them sometimes. She's got a mild form of epilepsy. It's also, couple with a few more symptoms, somewhere on the Autism spectrum. He needs to see a Neurologist ASAP, these seizures can keep him from retaining data and make it difficult for him to learn if they aren't treated. He needs and EEG to be sure.
    aavinleilazora

Answer by aavinleilazora at 12:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• post here...He goes to pediatric daycare school so im hoping they will notice something and let her know. They are always telling her about his behavior problems.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 2:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• ohh yes mama he has autism and a slight taste of ADD.. get him checked out.. But I don't know for sure if he is ADD but autism is the main thing..... ohh so sad baby!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009