Percentile

Just checking because I read an article in a magazine talking about children and percentiles and it said that being over the 95th perc. was obese, and i think 80-90 was overweight...This is not the same and true for babies though right? My son is in the 90th percentile for weight and a bit higher for height, and his doctor has always been very happy with that so does it change after the toddler years when you want the percentile to decrease?

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 10:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have to look at the bigger picture. If baby started in the higher percentile and is constantly following the charts based on that higher percentile, then I wouldn't be concerned. With infants and toddlers it's more about growth rate than weight. Obviously a 9 lbs baby is going to be larger than a 6 lbs baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I think so. I have known some CHUBBY CHUBBY babies and when the got a bit older and even into their adulthood, they are skinny minnies
    Anonymous

• PS How old is your child? If he isn't very mobile yet, once he gets more active, the weight will probably drop a bit. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son is 5 months old. He is not any chubbier than other babies...all babies are chubby. I dont feel concerned about his weight at all. and he is 28 inches long. His dad is super tall and he will obvoiusly be too...I just pondered this article after reading it and wondered if they do consider high percentile babies to be overweight or obese. It seemed ridiculous to me.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• how old is your baby? My oldest was 8 pounds and 1 ounce 20 inches at birth then by the time she was3 months old she was up so 18 pounds I know big lol, but all she did was eat lol. But now she is almost 4.5 years old and she is in a 4T has been since she was 3 not for waist, but for length. She is 32 pounds and like 38 inches I think she is tiny and tall lol. So just cause there big when they are babies doesn't mean anything. My youngest was 8.7 20 inches when she was born now she is 32 inches and 23 pounds she is 20 months old. A friend of mine has a 7 month old that is 21 pounds not much diffrent than my DD lol so it doesn't matter when they are babies what they will be like when they get older. There weight fill slow just give them a lot of exercising
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It changes when they hit about 2 years old, which is usually when they start calculating BMI in addition to measuring height and weight. The BMI is the number that really matters, not just the weight; if your child is in the 95th % for height and weight, then there's no problem, but if your child is in the 95th % for weight and only the 50th for height, then there may be cause to worry. But there's a reason they don't look at BMI for babies, so don't worry about it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009