Does anyone else

practice mattress wrapping? I am curious because I had never heard about it until I came across a post on a website similiar to this. I am so happy that I did and I immediately bought a wrap for my sons mattress....Has anyone even heard of this? I am starting to think that the United States SIDS campaign is not up to par like other parts of the world that have dramatically reduced SID rates because of this practice.

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 11:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly I've never heard of it until I just googled it lol. I've swaddled my kids up until about 9 months, then unfortunatly they get attached to one blanket that they will NOT go to sleep without so I'm constantly checking on them. But this is a good idea.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 11:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yeah its jus that the sad part is that in the U.S. we do not hear anything about it, we hear about back to sleep, swaddling, etc....which are all still great things but mattress wrapping prevents an entirely different hazard. Some even believe that it is the sole cause of SIDS but nobody would think this because nobody has ever heard of it over here or talks about it. It is so cheap too. They make literally NO profit off of sending out wraps, and they ship them for free from New Zealand. I would love to get the word out there to other mothers because we worry about everything from how much our baby eats to what they are doing developmentally, but this could be most important and such a simple thing to do.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I'm not saying don't wrap but. . . I'm just a little concerned that all the info I find point to only one person and one company selling these wraps. . . Also. . . shouldn't my son who is a tummy sleeper at 2 years old be more at risk? He sleeps longer than a newborn (6-8 hours) mostly on his tummy and the mattress is 2 years old. . . I would like to see more studies that have been published and peer reviewed. . . maybe I'm just jaded by the "baby safety industry" that tries to use fear to sell products. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Well i am no expert, I have actually found several different websites to buy the wraps..but because they come out of new zealand there are not that many....I believe the risk is for babies bc of their body systems...a young baby cannot handle the fumes like a 2 year old..but they do say to keep baby on the wrapped mattress (easy if you have a convertable crib that goes to a bed then u keep the mattress) when they are past the cot death age because of asthma. The gases can still affect a toddler. Just wanted to put the info out there but not many seem to be that interested in it, I find that wierd because everyone is so into the back to sleep and all the other things such as sleep wedges.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 4:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2009