Will he ever stop saying :"NO!"????

My lil' guy is 20 months old and he constantly says "no". I honestly think he doesn't know the difference between yes or no because he will sometimes answer "no" to questions I know he means "yes" to. If u say..."do you mean yes"?...he will shake his head yes. He seriously says it like 50+ times a day...will he eventually just stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it will eventually stop A LOT of kids go through that.,. my daughter use to too. but the way she said no u could tell if it was a real no or a yes lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My "smarty pants" answer was going to be: he'll stop as soon as he stops hearing "no", lol.... Kinda true though. Teach him other stuff to say, have conversations, try to have him mimic you. If you have other kids, try to get them to stop saying "no" to him too. So, it he's doing something you want him to stop, say "stop" and tell him what he can do,that kind of thing. Good luck!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I usually say things like "huh uh" or "I don't think so" or "we don't do this(or that)"...No hasn't been a frequently used word for several months...he is saying it in response to questions I am asking in conversations I am having with him. His is not spoken to with one word like "no"....if he is doing something I do not like them I explain to him why I do not like it and then when he complies I always praise him on following directions well. I would just like no "no's" to be less frequent and the yes/no to be answered like he truly means:) Thanks for any replies though...."smarty pants" or not...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• He's learned the power of "no." Don't worry, it IS a stage kids go through.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It's just a fun word for him to say. He'll switch to another word to annoy you soon.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Mine still says it at 30 months. Sometimes he smiles when he says it so you can tell that he's just messing around. He will say "ya" every now and then, so I know he's capable of it. Its just a stage they go through, but when it ends, I have no idea, LOL.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 2:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my dd did that also. sometimes still does. it's a stage.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 4:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009