My daughter wont say anything

My daughter is 13 months old and I dont think she has had her first word yet. She say nana baba dada mama and all kind of other gibberish. When she says dada or mama i think she is just making sounds and doesn't know what it means. I have many picture books I read her and try to point out everything. How old was your LO when they started saying words they actually knew the meaning of.

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's only 13 months.. Give her time and you'll be wishing she'd be quit for a few minutes LOL
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my daughter was 5 months old when she knew what dada ment and 6 months when she knew what mama ment. u should hear the girl talk now 2yrs old doenst shut up lol talks in sentences and knows how to use me and everything!!! my son on the other hand is 9 months old and knows mama dada and baba.. ever kid is different though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my son didnt talk much till he was almost 18 months and then he took off and started reading at 2 years 9 months so dont stop reading to her and dont think theres anyrthing wrong.mine loves books and anytime he asks for one the answer is yes! he has like 450 books no joke.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I knew when my dd was 12 months old that something was wrong. I just knew. Call it mommies intuition or whatever, but I knew....I mentioned it to her pediatrician and they referred me to a speech therapist who tested her a she was a bit delayed, even at about a year old.

She began therapy and sure enough even at 4 now, she is still speech delayed and has mild autistic tenancies.

She is VERY young. But if your mommy radar is going off, dont ignore it forever,

My suggestion would be to relax...give it another month or two, make a journal of anything you believe she says purposefully....then mention it to your pediatrician.

If nothing is wrong and you are a worry wart ;) then GREAT!!!! If you are right....then she will begin receiving EARLY INTERVENTION which is the best way to help her.

You cant go wrong this way;) Message me if you want.....I have been through years of this now ;)

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• |By 9 months my DD knew who mama was. She finally understood who papi was around 16 mos, but that is because he wasn't around a whole lot. She knew who grandpa was at 14 mos.

\She may only say 3 words, but I think she should definitely be associating names with her favorite people by now.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• 13 months is still very young. She's making appropriate sounds so I wouldn't worry. By 18 months she should have around 10 words (they may not sound like "real" words but she uses them consistently, like "ba" for ball). If by then she still isn't talking, mention it to your pediatrician and have her evaluated by Early Intervention (or your state's equilvalent).

If you're really concerned, mention it at her 15 month checkup but my guess is the doctor may not do anything until 18 months unless there are other issues of concern. It is definitely a good idea to record the words/sounds she does make so you can be specific when you do talk to the doctor.

My son was speech delayed at said nothing at 18 months. After six months of speech therapy, he had more than 200 words. He's still a bit behind but catching up fast. Early Intervention is a great program for kids that need some extra help.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• good grief the child is still a baby. let her be a baby for a while. mine didn't start speaking until she was 2 and then never shut up. let the child grow and learn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• mine just gabbered like that, too. it's normal. wait a few months. keep working with the pic books tho, it never hurts. :)
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 4:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If only 13 mos. I wouldn't be concerned. I've worked with and have my own and they've all talked at different rates. Dr. can be weird about it especially if they don't have their own. My 4 have all talked at different times and they're all growing fine and happy and intelligent. Don't worry about it. Einstein didn't speak til he was 5.
    Applemama

Answer by Applemama at 7:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2009