taking benadryl while BFing my 10 mo old?

is it ok to take?
a lower doseage?
its for a sleep aid,i cant sleep! i think i have insominia but im hesitant to take sleeping pills.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are completely safe to take the Benedryl. At least that is what I was told by my family dr. I used to take a sleeping pill every night. When I got my physical before trying to concieve, she told me I was in great condition to get pregnant but I had to stop my sleeping pill. Then she told me to take benedryl because it did not cross the plecenta. Now I've been told that while we are breastfeeding we are safe to take whatever we took while we were pregnant. Good Luck, I've been bfing for 3months 1week and 1day!!!!!
    Mrs.Faith

Answer by Mrs.Faith at 11:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Using Benadryl as a sleep aid can actually be worse than taking a sleeping pill.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• why? even just like once a month?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Go to the health store and get yourself some Melatonin. It works better than Benadryl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• will i get serotonin syndrome then with 2 serotonin meds?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I actually had a huge dip in milk supply when I took benedryl. We were traveling and my allergies got so bad I couldnt drive so I took it. I ended up with a baby nursing almost the entire trip just to get my supply back up.

I highly suggest meletonin and sleepy time tea! The work better then benedryl anyways.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Benedryl is fine while you are breastfeeding. You may feel a little cotton mouthed in the morning, so drink a lot of water to keep up your hydration. I've taken it from time to time for sleep and it works OK for me. Hope you get some Zs!
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• it will make your milk supply go way down. but is safe to take.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• After my C-Section I was on morphine which made me want to itch my eyes out. I requested benedryl and I got it. My baby has never had a drop of formula, but I also know I am a great milk maker. IT is safe to take while BF but I wouldn't use it as a sleep aid though.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 12:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2009