Has anyone used "Your Baby Can Read!" program??

I have seen commercials for this program called "Your Baby Can Read!" and it looked very educational. There were some babies reading simple words at just 13 months old. It's $200+ so I really want to know if this is as good as it looks (since most things aren't!). Thank you!

HaydensMama42

Asked by HaydensMama42 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've seen commercials for that as well, and while it looks like what they do works very well, it seems like all they do is show babies the word while they hear it (and possibly see a picture, I'm not sure, though), so all the babies are doing is memorizing the connection. Which, I'll admit, is an important part of reading, but to pay $200+ for that? I don't consider it "reading" until they're able to read something that hasn't been completely memorized like all the words they show babies "reading" in the commercials. For what they charge all that money for, I haven't seen anything from the commercials that making some flash cards wouldn't accomplish. But to be fair, I've never used it and never known anyone who has.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• All it is is basically repetition with your child. To me it's a waste of money. Nothing like paying that much money to basically just throw your child in front of the tv. Besides, if they learn all this at such a young age what are they going to learn in school? They are going to get bored and start disliking school which causes even more problems. Why not just wait until your child is old enough and just do the old school way of teaching them to read and recognize words.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2009