Does anyone else not do Halloween?

We don't do Halloween for religious reasons. I grew up like that my whole life. There were times I did feel left out but for the most part I didn't mind it. We would ususally go to one of my aunts houses and all the cousins would play and our parents would give us candy. Now my little girl is 6 and starting to realize that her friends do it and we don't. How would or do you handle a situation like that?

Frogbaby83

Asked by Frogbaby83 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh I love Halloween and always have, my children love it to. But if you are against it then you need to be honest with your daughter as to why she won't participate in it. Don't be upset if she doesn't understand or gets mad, she's 6, there will always be something that EVERYBODY is allowed to do but her lol, it's part of being a kid.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i did not do it growing up and all we do for my dd is go to familys houses and they give her candy but she is only 2
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• We didn't celebrate it when i was growing up and my mom used to give us a pillowcase of candy.

When i was 11 she thought that i wouldn't want to go trick or treating because i was too old. But she was wrong! lol. i'm 22 now and this will be my first year NOT dressing up and trick or treating. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• eh, we do it. But I totally respect the fact that you don't and maybe you should just tell her that you view it as a day to spend together as a family. Or maybe take her to a local church that does a fall carnival type thing.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• One year I did not have $$ or time to buy or make costumes. So I took my 4 kids to my mom's house. My girls had a ball dressing up in grandma's clothes & shoes. We had a tub for bobbing for apples, we made popcorn and gave them candy. It was a really fun time, even better than trick-or-treating b/c it was really cold that year. You can make it a fun time without all the commercial stuff, like any other holiday.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:18 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• We don't do halloween. Us "religious" folks are becoming a rare breed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• We don't "do" Halloween, but I did dress my girls up when they were little and took them out trick or treating. I think we stopped that when they were about 9 or 10 and now we just hand out the candy.
    I'm raising my infant granddaughter now, so I may be taking her out for her first trick or treating this year, but haven't decided on a costume yet. She's 7 months old.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I know that we are not supposed to do trick or treating. The reason is that my dh and I are joining the catholic faith. It is thought of as a pagan tradition.
    We have always alowed them to do it so I am afraid that if we quit now they will not liike our faith. I don't really mention it but they are thinking a year in advanced about what to be! I bet we go again this year!
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 1:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009