Looking for Lactose Free recipes!

We just found out that my DD is lactose intolerant. Bad thing is that she loves mac and cheese, tuna helper and mashed potatoes (all of which call for milk in the recipes). How can I make these w/ out using dairy? She also has a birthday coming up that I'd like to make her cake for. Does anyone know if there's a lactose free cake mix out there? Any recipes would be awesome! Thanks Ladies :)

JenniP0708270

Asked by JenniP0708270 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I've been lactose intolerant since I was a teenager, and it's no big deal. For a lot of things, you can simply replace the milk in the recipe with lactose-free milk, soymilk, or rice milk. I works great in cakes, mashed potatoes, etc. I've never had a problem with cake mixes causing gastric symptoms; small amounts of lactose, if they're combined with other sugars, cause your body to release enough sugar digesting enzymes that the others help digest the lactose. There are also chewable lactase tablets that can be used when she gets old enough to take a chewable pill. For mac & cheese, you can either make it from scratch using soy cheese (which doesn't melt as well as regular cheese) or buy dairy-free boxed mac and cheese (Whole Foods carries it.) As she gets older, you'll be better able to figure out how much lactose is too much. Remember, it's not poison, it's just not going to get digested properly, so you don't (cont.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• ...want to give more than she can handle and upset her stomach. I wanted to add--there are also lactose-free cheeses out there--Cabot's Seriously Sharp cheddar, Trader Joe's yogurt cheese slices, and Finlandia swiss are labeled "lactose free," which means they have less than half a gram of lactose in an ounce of cheese. If it's part of a larger meal, the other sugar-digesting enzymes will take care of the small amount of lactose. Lactaid sells lactose-free cheese slices, cream cheese, and cottage cheese. Breyers makes a lactose-free ice cream. Lots of companies make dairy-free versions of common dairy products, so it's worth going to a supermarket with a big health food section and seeing all the stuff out there that can be used instead of traditional dairy products, because there's a LOT of stuff now. I with it had all existed when I was in high school.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:03 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have a ton; there is not enough room in this forum, though. Here is one to help you get started:

NACHO CHEESELESS SAUCE
    The Teen's Vegetarian Cookbook by Judy Krizmanic
    12 ounce package soft or silken tofu
    1/2 cup bottled salsa
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1 to 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast or a little lemon juice or Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup cold water mixed with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
    1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
    In a blender, puree tofu, salsa, turmeric and water-cornstarch mixture (and nutritional yeast if using). Heat oil in a skillet and make sure bottom of pan is coated. Pour in tofu mixture and spread to cover pan. Cook tofu mixture on low heat for about 5 minutes, without stirring. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix up the tofu, stirring to get a creamy consistency. Pour/scrape sauce into a bowl and serve with chips. Serves 4 – 6.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Variation: For a spicier sauce, add 2 Tablespoons chopped canned green chilies to tofu mixture before cooking.
    To make loaded nachos: Spread some drained canned black or pinto beans, or vegetarian refried beans onto a plate and warm in microwave. Top with salsa, warm nacho cheeseless sauce, shredded lettuce and chopped tomato. Serve with tortilla chips.
    MY NOTES: I always use heaping, overflowing tablespoons of Red Star nutritional yeast since it has a "cheesy" flavor and is a good source of vitamin B-12. I like to substitute arrowroot for the cornstarch, but either works well. I generally use medium heat salsa.
    I have used both canola and olive oil with similar results. I have also had success using low-fat tofu. The turmeric is for color and not necessary if you do not have any on hand. But, too much turmeric will change the flavor.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• . I found that doubling the recipe in one skillet doesn't work that well. The recipe needs a large surface area. The recipe travels
    well in a crock-pot and reheats fine the next day in the microwave. It can be used on broccoli and other vegetables as well as for chips.

• You can substitute lactose free milk for regular milk. It doesn't change the taste or texture. That is what I do and I am lactose intolerant. Dean's makes one. Try soy or veggie cheese. I like the veggie cheese better than the soy...the texture isn't much different than regular cheese.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009