Can I lose my son???

Okay I had my son when i was fifteen years old, i only knew my sons father for two weeks before i found out i was pregnant. Before my pregnancy i admit i was a troubled teen. My mother was always more of a friend rather than a mother. When i was six months prego, my mother moved to wisconsin with her boyfriend and left me here in new mexico with my sons father,16.I found that my sons father knew i had no family or anyone to help me but him so he began to walk all over me and became abusive to me.. i never pressed any charges, i just left.. When we broke up i took my son with me to washington where i had my grandmother. i had charges of kidnapping against me, i had to fly back for court and from that point i could not leave the state. i moved in with my current boyfriend, and i was granted joint custody month to month.. we are now fighting bc my sons schooling and he wants full custody, i dont drink, do drugs, or hurt my son.

bjacobs821

Asked by bjacobs821 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Usually the only way a mother can lose a child if theres signs of neglect. I wouldn't worry too much the courts dont want to pull children from there mothers unless there is proof that you are not a good mother.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Mom's usually win. It's just that the courts tend to favor the mom, unless you have a dangerous lifestyle(which you say you don't, so no problem there)
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Try to hold out more then 2 weeks before sleeping with someone & for Gods sake use protection before you end up with aids. Get your life together & you won't have to worry about such things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Anon :54 get your head out of your ass. It's obvious she made a mistake and knows it now no reason to keep reaping on her about it....

As for you OP, unless there is signs of neglect or abuse from you towards your son you are okay.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I agree, I do not think you will lose your child, but you do need legal help so....find a good free legal clinic and protect yourself!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I really don't think you will lose your child. You were young and made a mistake, it happens. It sounds like you are a great mom and trying to do what you can for your son. You really need to get legal help and representation. Keep making a better life for your son and do what you need to keep protecting him. Good luck.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I was of the understanding that older children have a voice in where they live at a given age. If your son has been living with you all this time and is happy with this arrangement; it certainly would be advantageous to your situation for him to speak up now. Your son, in fact, could be helpful in telling others what a good parent you have been for a good part of his growing up.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• This is in the 5-8 range, so I'm assuming your son falls in that range - since he's that young, it's very unlikely that the judge will ask him his preferences. My kids are 8 and 9 1/2, the judge never asked them, and my attorney said that wouldn't even be a possibility until they are at least 12.
    But to answer your question, no - i think it would be highly unlikely for you to lose your child over this.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Sadly, moms usually win. I only say sadly because that is not always in the childs best interest. In your case I hope you win. I also hope you wait to have more kids with a husband that you know really well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i would push that issue totally he can not take ur child from you unless you are a unfit mother. hire a good attorney and fight it
    Lovebugto2

Answer by Lovebugto2 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 18, 2009