How does my DH keep hiding my stuff?

MY DH doesnt like me on the computer, so he hides my laptop. He doesnt like me talking on the phone to my friends, so he hides my cellphone. Well, I had a mommies night out planned with my friends and he also had to go visit his friend to watch a game. Well, I am ready to go out now and I cant find my keys! He must have hid that too. He is not home right now and I have tried to call him and he is not answering. I just send the babysitter home now since I am stuck at home. I am just so frustrated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• It sounds like he is super jealous and controlling. I'd think he must be up to something, because usually when they try to isolate you like that, it's because they think you might do the same thing they have or are doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• OK, anonymous. I must say you are SUPER SMART because yes, he did cheat on me and he is really scared that I would pay back, but we are in counselling now so I have no plans of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Well I would have to say that the counseling doesnt seem to be helping him. That is really immature and selfish on his part. I would have to bring all this up at the next session. And make yourself a spare set of keys and hide them for Gods sake. What would he do if you had an emergency?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Good to hear that you are in counseling. Hopefully this is something that will be brought up at your next session. I love to hear it when couples are trying to work things out instead of fleeing from their problems! good for you and your DH and i hope that things only get better!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• btw ...he probably took the keys with him. ...that's what i would do.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i'd agree he probably has the keys with him. on that note, i'd get a lock box of some sort and when i'm not using my stuff i'd lock it and i'd keep the key in my bra. its your stuff not his, so he needs to get over it. he's the one who should have stuff taken since he's the one that strayed. as for taking your keys, that would piss me off the most, what if one of your kids had to get to the er? i'd be taking his keys for a week and letting him walk to work every day.
    and i'd have gone out tonight anyways, call a cab or a friend. screw staying home, it shows him he won.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:16 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You do realize this is the beginning of an abusive type relationship right? I see you are in counseling, I hope he continues, but I hope you take some control back too. what he is doing isnt right........ and its abuse......and what if you made a spare set of keys and hid them in the car somewhere only you know where....... you might just really need them one day
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Thanks OP. I've met many men who cheated and acted like that. I'd definitely bring it up in counseling and you need to talk to him yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• He's insecure.

In his insecurity, he is reaching out for things to control. He feels out of control, so he seeks control 'out there'... where it will not be effective, rather than 'in here' where he actually is the only person who can control himself.

I'm a snarky brat, and I'm inclined to say 'are you hoping that you will finally offend me enough to make leaving you more attractive than staying with you?' in moments like this...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Run for the hills girl! That is not the type of relationship you want to be in. My husband was like that for the longest time up until I started hiding my things from him and he finally caught on. Your SO sounds very insecure and jealous about something. Trying to hold you captive is not healthy for any relationship though.
    Princefan6684

Answer by Princefan6684 at 3:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2009