Adoption agencies might have a bad name?

I hear all this stuff about adoption agencies being baby monger child sellers who pressure people into giving their babies away. First off b moms contact agencies,agencies don't walk the street hunting pregos. Second,many of the staff are bmoms and adoptees. Third,they go through extensive counseling for both parties to understand the pros and cons of adoption.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Adoption

• I gave my daughter up for adoption and went through an adoption agency and there was zero counseling so thats not neccessarily true.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It is available if requested,it's required to be provided if requested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• o.p. how do you know all this?Are you familiar with all states adoption laws?They vary wildly, some have laws that give some protection to expectant women; others all the people involved may be employed by the agency ,without a lawyer in sight.They must be reliable , in legal terms this simply means not convicted of a crime of moral turpitude and not a bum.These are laws in effect in 2009.Adoption.com even calls for national laws concerning adoption for the protection of all involved.These states that have protective laws still could have people that ignore them but it is a start.I still wonder how do you know what happens everywhere.What you describe I'm sure does happen how do you know when it doesn't? These laws are available to anyone that has an interest.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:27 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• A lot of women go to crises pregnancy centers to get information about options and get pressured into adoption. A lot of pregnancy centers are connected with adoption agencies. So yes, they do track young women down.
    Beside a lot of adoption agencies advertise as options counselors. Bethany does. So no you are wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Many adoption agencies spend billions in marketing to get those pregnant women to their doors in the first place. Counseling is not regulated by anyone and very often done by the suggestions of the NCFA which has put lots of money and effort into research on how best to convince a woman to give her child up for adoption. And there is very few instances where the counseling is actually from an unbiased person. Most are counseled by the very people who's paycheck depends on them giving up their child.
    Of course, not every agency operates the same, but there are many who follow those practices. For me, I did contact the adoption agency myself after being given a brochure the agency handed out to high schools which offered help in making the right decision for my child. It's a marketing tactic many use in an effort to get more pregnant women through their doors. Once inside the main goal is to portray adoption as the best ...
    bellacocco

Answer by bellacocco at 4:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• ...choice without much help or guidance to parenting options. And as for counselors being bmoms and/or adoptees, I do agree with this (though I don't know how many agencies actually do this) IF they are given the opportunity to hear ALL stories from bmoms and adoptees. Not just one side or the other. To only have one side represented is misleading and manipulative.
    bellacocco

Answer by bellacocco at 4:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Actually they do go hunting for "pregos" as you so charmingly put it. Check this out: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1526228&posted=1

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I wasn't given ANY counseling. When I asked about it , they said they didn't do that. Afterward, I went to one...she said she specialized in it. She was an adoptive mother. At the time, I felt like she just wanted me to get pregnant again and give her a baby. This was in California in the 80's. It may be different now.
    stillamom1213

Answer by stillamom1213 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Sorry, but I just have to say....LOOK this is another ANON, posting, with what seems to be an attitude, maybe TROLL! Please quit feeding the monster, if they are truly concerned, they will approach things in a respectful way, other than that stop feeding the BEAST! SORRY just had to get this out of my system..Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• C.J.- You are right, and as you know I usually don't read anon answers as a principle, but even though we probably wont change the mind of these people, other people can read our words and see the truth.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 10:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2009