How do I child proof my water dispenser on the refrigerator?

My 2 year old has discovered our water/ice dispenser on the refrigerator. We have an older model so there is no lock. Has anyone had any luck finding anything? We don't want to disconnect the water line - we like using it. We have never gated off the kitchen and never plan to. We are trying to keep it on 'ice' so that he does not get soaking wet, but that means he gets ice dropped on his head :( Any ideas?

aidinsmama

Asked by aidinsmama at 12:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My best advice is to block it somehow. Maybe affix a bowl or container to the front. Us mother can be pretty creative with our childproofing. We actually go through a process of putting the temptation in front of them and then systematically saying no and pulling them away enough times til they get it. I believe this doesn't work with all children. But the blocking it with something...you know it may look bad, but ducktape across the bottom so they can't reach, but you can might work. It worked on our tv buttons. Let me know what you decide. This is always an interesting situation to me
    Applemama

Answer by Applemama at 7:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I really don't have any idea for you except buy a new model or he will learn soon since he probably doesn't like to be hit by the ice. Just my two cents.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have the same problem! I've just been letting my son learn from his mistakes. I try to take this approach with everything that won't seriously hurt him. Once he does it I tell him he has to help me clean up his mess. I do change his shirt if he is very wet but I let him know that the next time he does it he will just have to wear a wet shirt. He normally only does it twice since he hates having wet clothes. GL!

colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 1:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If the ice hits him hard enough, he'll stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You can disconnect it, inside, no?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I think you just need to do a lot of saying "NO," and if he plays with it after being told not to and gets hit by an ice cube, you let him know that's why you said "no," you didn't want him to get hit with an ice cube. The likelihood of any serious injury is extremely small; hopefully his fascination will go away in a little while.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Discipline him when he messes with it. Make the kitchen and child free area (they shouldn't be in there anyway unless they are eating). That is the only way he will learn. If you "child proof" it, it becomes more and more of a fascination for him even as he gets older.. I learned this the hard way with my son. The more I tried to child proof something the more interested he became in trying to make something work or do something he wasn't supposed to be doing.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Just out of curiosity why don't you want to block off the kitchen? There are so many other and more dangerous things he can get into.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• how about watching him so he doesn't do that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I agree with those who said that if he gets hit enough times he'll learn, or is cold enough by being hit by the cold water enough, he'll learn. This is a fun age, where cause and effect are the best and most fun things to do!! Mine got over a lot her mischievousness like that.

dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 4:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2009