Blood Pressure

So my hubby and I just went and got our blood pressure checked. The thing I am concerned about is our pulse rate.....101 for me and 58 for him. Is it normal for a man to have a lower pulse rate? What is the norm for men and women? Also my blood pressure was 138/80, is that horrible? I was thinking it's not bad, but maybe somebody knows better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Health

• YOu are running close to the borderline high side of the blood pressure scale, It is impossible to get a proper high blood pressure diagnosis based on one reading, you need to take your blood pressure several times on different days at different times to get a true idea of what your blood pressure is like. It is not uncommon for men to have a lower heart rate, usually they are in a little better shape then us women are...... If I were you I would check your BP for a few days in a row and if you are still running that close to the high end, start eliminating some of the sodium in your diet and call your doc for a real diagnosis
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:17 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Your heartrate is really high, unless you'd just been working out (climbing stairs or something).

Before you get out of bed in the morning, count your heartrate for 10 seconds and multiply the number by 6. Do this every day for a week. It should be under 80, on average, or you need to visit your doctor. There are reasons why some people's heartrates are very high, but it is also a dangerous symptom that should not be ignored.

Your blood pressure is high, and probably should be treated at least by diet. Check out the Duke University high blood pressure diet (I think it's the one called RICE, but maybe not) --they've had success lowering blood pressure as much or more than medication can.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2009