Time and Reincarnation (pagans please)

So, I've been thinking about this lately. I know I personally don't believe in "time" and I think that is a fairly common belief held by many Pagans. ...and no. i dont mean that i dont own a clock or follow a schedule. I mean, more along the lines of "REAL" time. kinda hard to explain ...but if you share my belief i'm sure you understand what i'm talking about.

So, it is common knowledge that when someone is reincarnated they could be reincarnated into "past" or "future" from their last life. ...If this is the case, and there is no such thing as time or space, is it possible for all of us to be ONE soul? Okay, i know we all come from the ONE ...but are we all one soul?
I hope i make sense. It's kind of hard to explain my thought process in less then 1000 characters and on "paper".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We are a part of a collective and I believe when we finally learn everything we join with that collective becoming "one". But until then no we are our own spirit. As far as reincarnation into the past, no I don't believe that. I do believe we have the option to wait for the right time and place. But I don't believe we can go backwards in time. Very interesting thought though!

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Well, let me say that I believe in the no time bit, but not on the earthly plane. I believe though, that people on the othersides have no time, and therefore can be back in time while we are here. I do not believe we can reincarnate into the past on the earlthy plane though.

And no, I do nt believe we are one soul. I think there is a sort of collective that knows one another, but that we are all different souls.
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 1:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Sounds intriguing. I think the phrase for what you're doing is 'thought experiment' and of course there is no way to prove in either direction. Fun thinking about it, though!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Wow... I never heard of anyone being reincarnated in their PAST. I find this idea rather intriguing.

You question about all of us being one soul is something one could sit and ponder over for EVER. I love this idea as well.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I do not believe in "ONE" never have. And I do not believe that we are reincarnated in to the past. There is no reason for us to be, it's over, and we know how it ends. All lessons that need to be learned can be learned here. We are separate spirits and while we do have a choice as to when to come back or how, we also have the choice not to. I believe in "levels" to the underworld. Those that need to come back for Karmic reasons (they have a great debt) are on a separate level than those who do not NEED to come back, those who's lessons are over or those who's Karma Bank is overflowing... I liken it to the levels of the Ancient Underworld accept that I believe we pay our depts in flesh. I do believe however that those with debts to pay are also those that are kept out of the Elysian Fields and once they have paid their spirit toll they return to pay it here... I know sounds weird - I can't explain better, I'm still asleep.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I'm not Pagan, but I do share a belief that time as we understand it is a human construct- we perceive time linearly, but that does not mean that time itself is linear. It just means our minds can only comprehend it that way. I do think, to a certain extent, that we are all one... we are made up of the energy that makes up everything, in that sense we are 'borrowing' that energy. After our time is over, it will return to the source and be reused. I believe in this kind of 'recycling' more than a literal idea of reincarnation- I don't think our ego/personality survive our physical death, though our energy does.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• In Dr Brian Weiss' books about reincarnation he theorizes that we are indeed from one Source which could be interpreted as from one soul.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If this is the case, and there is no such thing as time or space, is it possible for all of us to be ONE soul? Certainly it is possible, but I don't think it is probable. I think the soul is too personal for that to be the case.

Okay, i know we all come from the ONE ...but are we all one soul? I also don't believe we all come from "the one" unless you want to call all of the energy in the universe one, but I think that would be a mistake.

Have you read much on Hinduism? Hindu writings can be challenging because Eastern writing style is different, but I think it would really appeal to you.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• a book that describes the type of thing you are talking about is by Josh Warren. It includes more than just information on this subject, but it is an interesting theory that you may be interested in reading :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I believe that when we come into a physical body we agree to certain "rules" such as time and space, but it only applies on the physical level. Beyond the physical level there is no such thing as linear "time" or physical "space" and everything exists simultaneously. There is no past or future, there is only NOW. It is only our perception while here in physical form that makes them seem "real". So, if everything exists in an eternal NOW, then we exist in our past, present and future simultaneously. Not exactly "reincarnation". Maybe "simultaneous incarnation"? IDK

I also believe that we are all ONE on some level. I believe we are all shards, splinters, or maybe just facets of one whole. We are both separate and ONE. I don't know that soul would be the word I would use for the collective though. Soul might be the word for our separate facets, but not the whole. I think it transcends the idea of "soul".
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2009