Can I do it?

I've never moved out on my own before. I've always lived with my mom, friends, and my boyfriend. I just started a new job where I think I can afford rent. But, I thought I'd be sure. I make $1440 a month. My rent would be $495. plus electric. I did want to pay off some stuff before, but this is the perfect little community. It has 8 condos in the community, it's just down the street from my nana's / babysitters, there's a target across the street..So do you think I can make it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• There's never a better time like the present to find out. Man, you are lucky though. I made my kids get a job and move out after they graduated from high school. They work, find a babysitter and pay bills all on their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i'd say you'd be spending about $525 a month on rent/elec than, so its possible. just keep the extras to a min (cable, cell etc just basic if any at all) and keep making payments on any other things (loans, credit cards ) you have so that you don't mess up your credit.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• yes sounds like you have a good situation ahead of you but you also will never know unless you take that leap. and if you mess up dont throw yourself down about it, get up and learn from your mistakes. good luck ! :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Anon-
    Ha! I wish you were my mom! :) Unfortunately I think this is my down fall- I still haven't learned to be on my own at almost 21 years old and two kids later..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You keep an eye on your money and you should be able to do it. Try for a month or 2. Put that money plus the extras like car payment, electric bills...you get the idea in the bank. If you can make it like that then you can move out on your own. Good luck to you. It takes some bravery to make that leap.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 1:41 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My daughter lives on her own on less than you make with rent at $700. Sure it's possible. You just have to a) want to, and b) live within your means.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It sounds like financially you can do it. Good luck!
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 2:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You can do it!!!! Just be smart with them money!
    kellibelle

Answer by kellibelle at 4:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2009