Does anyone have a solutin for restless leg syndrome other than prescripton meds? Any OTC relief? I need help b/c I can't go to sleep b/c of this. PLEASE HELP!!!!

It makes your legs feel like they want to get up and run around the house but ur body is too tired to do anything. Also makes ur legs twitch like they can't sit still.

tnmomof2

Asked by tnmomof2 at 1:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Health

• Try some bengay or some other salve. I don't know if it will work but it can't hurt.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 1:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Exercising earlier in the day, particularly walking and stretching can help.

Limit (or completely avoid) caffeine, even chocolate, decaf and tea. Know where caffeine is (it's in Mountain Dew in the US, and anything with guarana extract has lots).

Make sure you drink enough fluids throughout the day.

Some people find keeping their feet cool, either by leaving them outside the blankets or using peppermint gel/spray/creams.

Some people find that really heavy sheets and blankets can weigh legs down enough to stop them flinching.

Nap during the day, and make sure you're getting enough rest and sleep in 24 hours. For you, it may be a LOT more than you think is 'normal' for humans. Some people really do need 10 hours.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:03 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It is tension built up that is made worse by thinking about it - I bet you never noticed it until you saw a commercial about it, right? Yeah. So, make sure you get enough exersize, and at night, do some calming leg stretches and low-impact exercizes, like leg lifts or squats. By the time you go to bed your legs will be exhausted - and if they aren't, do what I do and spin your foot in a circle around your ankle - like you are trying to wake it from a "sleep", if that makes sense. I do this constantly till I fall asleep at night - some might call it "restless leg syndrome", but I just call it a habit. But it is calming and tires out my legs, which do tend to feel "awake" a lot longer than the rest of my body.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 2:06 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• hi, I have restless leg terribly!!! but I have heard that magnesium works well however was nervous to use it because of the laxative side effects. I use 400 mg w another calcium /megnesium tab. I seem to do better but works great even if I screw up and have cola for lunch or supper. is a TENS UNIT... get one for cheap online!!!. I have one for chronic pain but have found that the restless leg is soothed by it!!! no pills, no side effects, can be tuned up or down...I put it on my low back in the sciatic area and soothes down my leg.. try it!!!
    laurie9141

Answer by laurie9141 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2009