Am I crazy or is this professor contradicting himself?

One students question: I was thinking about doing this paper on coexisting disorders (i.e drug addiction and obsessive compulsive disorder). My brother who has OC disorder and in the past used pot to "regulate" himself. He insisted that the pot made him feel normal because the medications that were perscribed by the doctor he said not feel or able to function.
Do you think that this is something that will be acceptable?

Professor's response: Don't try ALL co-morbid disorders, that would be way too broad. If you find just one set of them, that would work.

CONT.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It does sound a bit contradictory to me. Why is ocd and substance abuse ok, but not bipolar? Both are very documented disorders. I understand what yo'ure saying.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• next student's question: I have chosen Bipolar Disorder and Substance Abuse Disorder, together as comoribidity and as you said, well I have only found a few articles. How much can we add personally? Can we add our opinions and such?

professor's response: Books have been written about both those topics so there is way TOO much out there to cover it in a mere 2-3 page report.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• There have been books written on ALL of these disorders separately. The report is to be written on a subject that is not so broad that there has been books written about it, while not so narrow that you can't find enough information to write at least 2 pages single spaces, 12 font.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• What is the paper suppose to be on? I don't think he's contradicting himself, I think he's giving helpful advice that this is a small paper. In other words, don't blow it out of proportion by writing on something that has a lot of details. Writing on two different topics extensively is too much for a 2 page paper.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• S/he wants you to write about something that hasn't been done to death. Something that doesn't have tons of information plastered everywhere already.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 2:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't think it's contradictory either. Both Bi-Polar Disorder and Substance Abuse individually are so involved and complicated. Then adding the co-morbidity of them and you get into some extremely in depth and complicated information. I think that the professor is just trying to help your brother not to take on too much. Trying to wade through all of the information out there and scale it down to 2-3 pages would be extremely difficult. And I know - I'm a psychology professor. :)
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 5:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I agree with amy5272.

Try to think of disorders that you are not familiar with and that you really haven't heard a lot about in discussions.

Best wishes to you!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:35 AM on Sep. 13, 2009