How do I start to potty train a 20 month old who doesnt grasp the concept...

of going on the potty. He only tries to play with the toilet water! He went on the potty once and when he started to pee and tried playing with pee!

Moms10306

Asked by Moms10306 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it may not be time yet
    sarajo23

Answer by sarajo23 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My 22 month old still tries to play in the toilet. Your child may not be ready yet.
    jamie8506

Answer by jamie8506 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Buy a potty and when you go, he can sit on his. Explain to him what going potty means. After a while, you can put him on the big potty and have him try to go potty.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 5:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• don't push it, let him let you know when he's ready. otherwise your gonna wear yourself out.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 5:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• He's probably not ready. My son is 28 months and he'll say he wants to sit on the potty after he's already gone in his diaper. But he doesn't know enough to control his pee and stop himself from peeing in the bathtub so I know he's not really ready yet. I'm just letting him go at his own pace (even though I'm SO ready for him to be out of diapers!).
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 5:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree... 20 months old may be a little early to start potty training, but don't nix it out completely. Keep the option open for him so he can tell you when he's ready! :)
    Home_Interiors

Answer by Home_Interiors at 7:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• It is really when Matthew is ready, he'll go. Just introduce the potty to him (maybe even a urinal, we have one for Trent and it is great!) Anyway, give candy and/or stickers if he is a good boy and pushing something out. Try target practice, toss the cherrios in the potty and tell him to aim! Lol, Trent in 24 months and he's not trained... but he really doesn't want to be, it isn't from a lack of trying. Good Luck!
    T-Rentsmommy06

Answer by T-Rentsmommy06 at 1:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2008