What causes a ten weeks old to cough and gag ,stopping breathing for a couple of seconds, turn blue, start back breathing and no fever?

She's been doing this since Saturday. in the hospital, drs trying to figure out.
Being breast fed already checked for whooping cough. acid reflex. croup. Also put zantex in formula, a thickner in her mother milk. I'm starting to think maybe she'shaving a reaction from mother milk. What do you think or have someone ever heard of such.

t_davis

Asked by t_davis at 2:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she's not having a reaction to the mother's milk, im pretty sure. if a baby frequently stopped breathing, wouldnt they be hospitalized?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• perhaps she's allergic to something in the breastmilk that the mom (are you the mom?) is eating? If she is having the same reaction with formula, it could be a milk protein allergy. If it's severe enough it can cause respiratory problems even through breastmilk. Was the baby sleeping when this happens? Could be apnea.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• now that i think about it she always is sleeping. No she''s my granddaughter. She always come back around after one of those coughing spells on her own.but it's scary It's like she caught her breath and she's alright until the next time.
    t_davis

Answer by t_davis at 2:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my stepds had this when he was a baby(i've heard). It turned out to be reflux, His lungs would fill up then empty it took them awhile to figure it out. I'd say keep pushing to find out whats going on. Everyone needs to breath. Her brain cells are dying when shes not breathing, Brain cells ont grow back!!!
    allycally

Answer by allycally at 3:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't know it is called. But I heard about it on TV once, the baby almost died, and had to have many surgeries. But I honestly can't help. Should really get the baby to the doctor to make sure it isn't what I am talking about.
    PrincessSmasher

Answer by PrincessSmasher at 3:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I agree with allycally. My son had acid reflux really bad when he was an infant. But he had a lot of the "atypical" symptoms. Atypical symptoms are respiratory symptoms - coughing, sneezing, frequent hiccups and or course, constant crying. He NEVER spit up. Not even normal baby spit up. Which is why it took so long for us to figure out what it was. Since obviously the breathing is also a respiratory issue, that was my first thought. Start with the pediatrician, but I would also go see a pediatric gastroenterologist. I talked with my son's specialist for about 2 mins and he knew exactly what was going on. My son was put on Zantac twice a day and grew out of it when he was about 15 months old. Good luck!
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 4:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Good luck Grandma to you and your little GD
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 5:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my daughter had rsv and did the same thing...but if shes seen a dr i would think they would test for that with her symptoms...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• acid reflux or a cow milk allergy
    killerbeansmom

Answer by killerbeansmom at 7:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If she's sleeping when it happens, it is probably sleep apnea.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:18 AM on Sep. 13, 2009