Being a mom with insomnia.

I am only able to get 2-3 hours of sleep, no matter how long I lay in bed. Some nights I don't sleep at all. I just lay in bed with my eyes closed. I have had insomnia ever since I was a small child. It has affected school, work, and my relationships. I have tried everything under the sun to sleep. The only things that work are prescriptions that are potientally addicting and affect my judgement. So I avoid the prescriptions until I can no longer carry on and have someone to watch my son. Right now I am at my wit's end. I just want to feel like a normal person and be able to keep up with my 15-months old son. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how I can fall asleep more easily, or if I cannot fall asleep, how can I cope with the lack of sleep and still be the fun-loving mother my son deserves? I have an appointment with a sleep-disorder specialist, but they cannot get me in until Feburary! It's not fair.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• pray
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I've had insomnia as far back as 7 years old and there are some herbs that you can take like Catnip tea and Valerian root. You can go to www.mountainroseherbs.com and buy some pretty cheap. No, I don't sell it, nor am I affiliated with them, but I learned of the website in an herb group here on Cafemom, and it's legitimate. I also found a video on youtube showing how you mix the herb in to a tincture, so you can know how to make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dloPF1QDuw

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Rescue Remedy

Valerian Root

Answer by rkoloms at 10:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You could try melatonin or a glass (ONE) glass of red wine before bed. On The Doctors program they said to remove all electric items six feet or more away from the bed. They said that electromagnetic waves can cause insomnia. So if you have had your electric clock, radio and/or lamp next to your bed all these years you might be causing the insomnia that way. I also read that if you do a daily workout you should do it before bed and stay away from caffeine after later afternoon. Tell the sleep disorder place to call you if they have a cancellation so you can get in sooner.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I drink chamomile tea with a shot of whiskey in it or take a Unisom, depending on what's going on and how "wired" up I am.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 2:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have insomnia sometimes. I have had to take prescription meds. I go lay down and read a book or watch t.v. until I fall asleep. Its rough when I take my spells because I have to get up for work at 5:30 a.m.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 2:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• While I understand that the prescription meds can be addicting isn't your problem severe enough that you would be willing to take them? I've had insonia ever since my dd was born in 2000, I take 10 mg Ambien to help me sleep and have no problem. It is vital that you sleep to be able to deal with your child, is there anything else that you would be willing to take??
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 3:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Melotonin, L-tyrosin, and L-triptafan (sp) on those...my mom gives me those when I can't sleep. They're natural. Try them out if ou want to. Goodluck.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 3:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009