Abortion Neutral?

Interesting article.
When it comes to health care overhaul, a surprising number of people on both sides of the abortion war have declared a limited truce.

The key words are “abortion neutral.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/12/health/policy/12beliefs.html?em

Please read the whole article before answering, thank you!

Do you think they will actually come to a definitive conclusion?

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 3:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This stood out to me. I didn't hear about Rep. Capps trying this stunt! I bet no one else did either.

"An amendment by Representative Lois Capps, Democrat of California, to the leading House health care bill tried to bridge these differences. It authorized the public plan to cover abortions, beyond the instances of rape, incest, and threat to a woman’s life, while mandating that at least one private plan available in a national insurance exchange, and eligible for federal subsidies, include broad abortion coverage and at least one does not."
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I personally am against abortion unless it is rape, incest...etc

so I could care less if it stayed the way it was stated
    abortion should not be used as birth control
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• abort73.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• There are much more important things in USA then abortion debate . Sad thing is things will never get better us longest big % of population only votes in one issue  -ABORTION.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't think that's an issue you can be neutral on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Interesting article, Crissy. I'll think on that one for a while.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

Oh, I do. I am pro-choice/pro-sex education/anti-late term abortion So, I guess I am rather neutral. I firmly believe that the government has no right to decide what is and isn't life. I feel that a better sex education system would cut down on the number of abortions and that while I don't think any form of abortion is okay (I don't even believe in IUDs) that if the baby can not live outside the mother it's 110% still a part of her body and her choice. However, if that child can live outside the body and there is no risk to the mother's life, the baby should be carried to full term and given up.

So, when someone says are you pro-life or pro-choice. My instinctual answer is pro-choice... But it's so much more than that. I am pro-choice on the LEGAL matter of abortion. And pro-life on the physical side... So, in a word, Neutral.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

It's a pity too, because not a single person you vote for has any control over it. The president cannot change it. A single elected congress member cannot change it. And even if enough members of congress tried (and why would they - it's political suicide) it would still ultimately be up to the SCOTUS, who are not elected and have the option to not hear the case at all. Voting on someone's stance on abortion is about as intelligent as voting based on their religion.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It's a free world....... They can do whatever they want. Our problem lies in the fact that everything has to be given a freaking name. Why not just call it the first amendment and get over it?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009