Preparing to send my 3 year old to preschool. Any advices?

My 3 year old girl is going to preschool in October. She seems to be very eager to go and understands that Mommy will not be there but I am worried that she will cry and change her mind when I send her to school. I had few other moms who has already send their kids to preschool within this month, but all of them are complaining that their kids are crying so bad that they have nightmares and begging their moms not to send them to school in the morning! Is that normal? How can I prepare my daughter more?
Please Help! THanks a lot!

Dwing

Asked by Dwing at 3:37 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in

• prepare everything ahead and hopefully this is half day! i Know how ya feel! A lot is their temperment make her go though unless she is sick do not give in! Shyer kids like smaller schools.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• take her with shopping and let her pick out a couple things she would like at preschool...like a lunchbox or something like that...also if she DOES have the meltdown dont look back...give her a hug, a kiss, and get out of there quick! the longer you linger the worse she will act and the harder it will be for the preschool teachers to get her under control. My daughter did this when first starting daycare...within two weeks she was running to go in and was forgetting i was even there...lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Just make sure you tell her when you drop her off. That you will be back to pick her up later. Encourage her to go and meet new kids and have fun.

Answer by louise2 at 7:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My biggest advice is for YOU to be happy about it. Don't look worried or cry in front of her. Wait until you are out of sight!
    I would also ask the teacher before you go to tell you what the routine is. What's the first thing they do when they come in? And what's next and next....so you can say something like, "we have to wash our hands when we get there, put your sweater away and then you can play with a game or have a little breakfast first. Later you and all of the kids get to play outside on the playground. You like the slide, right?" something to prepare her for what is going to happen.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Wow! Completely different with my daughter! She gets up on Saturdays and Sundays and gets mad because there is no school! She loves going to preschool to learn, sing, dance, and play. She has come comletely out of her shell. I have a whole new daughter thanks to preschool.

;o)
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 9:01 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My son went to preschool last year for two months and then started again last week and he LOVES it. For the week before he went back we started the morning routine to get him ready. I really think its about putting your own fears aside and making it appear to your child to be an exciting adventure to make it more exciting to them. Also, if your child can meet the teacher in your own home for an hour or two (ours brought DS stickers and colored paper to play with) then they can at least identify one person in the room which makes it easier. Even when DS was upset it usually only lasted a few min and then things got better. Trust me, its way easier if you just get the heck out of there on both of you.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:24 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You can't worry about what might happen. The teachers are prepared to deal with upset kids, so don't worry about that. She might change her mind. Then again, she could be like my first two....hit the door, turn around and yell "bye Mom" over their shoulders!

You won't know what will happen until it does. If you're tense, however, she will pick up on that and it may be reflected in her behavior because she doesn't understand why you're so tense.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Give her atleast 2 weeks to get used to being away from you, the schedule at her preschool, the other kids and teachers. Drop her off, give her a hug and LEAVE. Do not wait around, do not hover around her, just go. Even if she is crying, the teachers know how to deal with it and most kids (99% of them stop crying within seconds of you leaving). I am a preschool teacher so I am not saying this just to be mean, I am telling you what works.

I honeslty would be concerened if a child is having nightmares about preschool, I would be talking to the teacher about what is going on during the day. Once your child is used to preschool, you can volunteer in the classroom. But only if your child understands that you are there to help the teacher not be with your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I just don't understand the point of preschool at age 3. Do kids really need preschool to get ready for preschool. Personally I would keep her home another year and send to preschool at age 4.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Make sure she understands that you will be back to pick her up after school. Maybe let her know about all the cool things she'll be able to do at preschool (meeting other kids, art, recess...) Just make sure you don't drag out the goodbyes...when it is time for you to leave say bye hug her and leave, hanging around will only make it worse. The teacher will know what to do with a crying child and I'm sure that when she sees other kids having fun she'll forget about crying and want to play too.
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2009