Does anyone know how to get rid of flys?

I have three dogs that are outside during the day. I clean up the poop at least once a week, usually twice, sometimes more. We have a real problem with flys. My one dog is constantly being bit. He had maggots under his skin?! disgusting I know. But I have been taking care of him. I also spray them down with fly repellant during the day. But that only works mediocre. I need something to keep them out of my yard that really works. Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pets

• bug zapper is a good way....so are citronella candles or anythign like it..it might be for mosquitos but believe me it works on anythign with wings!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Fly traps with a chemical attractant. The flies just fight to get in, then they can't get out and they drown. It smells. Hang it where you want the flies to go--away from the house or patio or the doors and windows. They will be attracted to it, not your living space. At first you will have to replace them every 3-4 days, but then there will be less flies to bother you. Fly season is about over, at least here, so hang in there, it won't be too much longer. Get a fly trap at WalMart or someplace like that for about $8. Don't go spending $20 or $30 on one, they aren't any better than the cheap ones.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Use a solution of Avon's Skin-So-Soft and water. Pour one part SsS, 3 parts water in a spray bottle, and shake. The SsS is oil based, so shaking is necessary. Hose the puppies down, wet, but make sure you get under the fur to the skin, the first time. Each time it needs reapplied, just spray the dog down a little, and it shouldn't take long for it to act. I've found that SsS/H2O is the only thing that will keep the flies off my horses for days at a time.

SsS is reasonably affordable too. And no more than you'll use, you'll probably be able to use a single bottle for a couple years even.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2009