my 7 week old has a herniated belly button, does anyone have experience with this

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 7:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what is that?
    an outtie?
    my sister had an outtie til she was 13
    i dont think its anything to worry about
    nothing that needs experiance
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My oldest child had one when she was born but it went away before she turned 2. Her doctor said they usually correct themselves. If hers hadn't then she would have had surgery around the age of 5 to correct it.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 7:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yes, my younger son, (now 5 1/2) had a herniated belly button, but it became an "innie" on it's own by the time he was about 8 months old. Our pediatrician said they usually wait at least a year before considering surgery.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My little girl had the worst herniated belly button you can imagine! When she would cry or push it would pop out so far and turn bright red. I got so upset I would call our pediatrician and they would assure me time and time again it was fine and causing her no pain. It was a sad sight to see! She is 21 months now and has an outie bellie button but no where near what it was the first 6 months. At her 18 month check up they said there would be no need for surgery it was fine. I know it is hard not to worry because of the way it looks but I assure you it will be fine :)
    triciamarie73

Answer by triciamarie73 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My son also had a herniated belly button. At times I thought it was going to burst. It has gone done almost completely and he is almost a year old. Doctor said it looked fine and will probably keep going down.
    blondie1973

Answer by blondie1973 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My son had one and it cleared up around 2 years old.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:06 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my daugter had one from colic and crying so much. it went away at about 8 weeks or so. her belly is normal now.
    sarahbumblebee

Answer by sarahbumblebee at 1:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• ijust recently took my son to the ER he is 6mo the doctor told me that it would clear up but his is not directly on his belly button but off to the side when i took him to the ER it wasn't there but the next night it popped up again the next night when he cried just like they said but i was so scared
    astarwasborn929

Answer by astarwasborn929 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2009