how do you wean a breastfed baby, to not nurse during the night?

i need to wean my daughter because in about 7 months she is going to have a brother or sister.

BetsyBoop

Asked by BetsyBoop at 8:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is she??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• she will be 12 months on the 24
    BetsyBoop

Answer by BetsyBoop at 8:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• oh... try juice and milk in a sippy cup. take her to pick out her own cups some kids really like that. for lunch and dinner and breakfast give her a cup. she may fuss but all kids do u just have to keep offering. Sometimes let her have a regular cup too. ... U DO NOT want to go to the bottle at 12 months bc then it will be harder to get her off that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Well unless you have a high risk pregnancy you can BF while pregnant. If you are set on weaning don't do it could turkey, it will only hurt you physically but her emotionally. Slowly cut one nursing session out a day and then another a few days later. As for nighttime, that is going to be rougher but just have a bottle or cup ready.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 10:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• She will wean when she is ready. Many moms successfully tandem nurse. My daughter stopped waking during the night at around 13 or 14 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Unless I misread this you aren't looking to wean all together just at night, correct? We have a 2 1/2yo active nursling and I'm 8 month preggo with baby number two(I have an extremly high risk pregnancy but I have listened to my body's signal's throughout and we have safely managed both bf and pregnancy so don't let anyone scare you into anything ;)) and we nightweaned our dd about 4 months ago because it was causing my nursing aversion to be way worse during the day because i couldn't sleep through her cronic night nursing anymore so I wasn't getting any sleep. It's going to depend on both you, baby, and if daddy is/or is willing to be involved in nightime parenting. We don't use CIO but I also don't believe fussing in a loving parent's arms is the same thing. A couple things to consider, why are you nightweaning? Some issues can be overcome without doing so. Is you kiddo developmentally ready for you to nightwean? cont.
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 11:27 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i.e. is kiddo going through any milestones, growth spurts, or teething? Also if this is an attempt to get kiddo to sleep through the night it may not be a solution. You will just lose a nightime soothing technic. I think doing this at the right time makes a huge difference in how smooth or difficult this is going to be. There are ton's of options as far as actually doing it that are both gentle and effective. You can try telling your baby that "na na's" or whatever your term is has gone night night but will come back when the sun comes up and offer a sip of water to quench thirst and cuddles instead. Your's may not be old enough to understand and accept this though, it depends on your child. Another option is having daddy take baby to the other room and cuddle and rock back to sleep. I would transition this slowly, maybe for only one session at a time over a couple of weeks. cont
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 11:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• There are ton's more and if you want to share a little more info I'd be happy to help you find an appropriate solution for your unique situation. Also feel free to pm me, I know how hard it is to nurse through pregnancy and support really makes a huge difference.
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 11:37 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i just went through that and got my lil one down to one feeding a night when she goes to bed. i would feed her from each breast each feeding but only for a few minutes on each breast,then shorten the time to one minute,then cut out one feeding so there is only 2 feedings a day,then a week later go to 1feeding.then a week later u can be done,that way ur milk slowly decreases as well...i went by this that i read on here( dont offer,dont refus) it took me a while to understand it and how to do that.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2009