Is there milk in processed cheese?

My oldest daughter is lactose intolerant. This only came about this past year so I am not up on these things. My husband swears up and down nacho cheese, Velveeta type cheese, and such do not have 'milk' in them. I am still not letting my daughter have them as of right now because I hate seeing her in so much pain. Does anyone know for sure?

IWantLotsOfKids

Asked by IWantLotsOfKids at 9:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• All cheese has milk in it unless it's actually labelled as vegan. You'll need to go to Whole Foods or a health food store to find that. Sadly they all taste quite horrible except a few that are hard to find like Cheezly and Teese which are mostly just available online.

If she's just lactose intolerant rather than allergic to milk you can try an alternative cheese like soy, rice, or almond. They're not 100% dairy free because they contain casein but they're lactose free. I'd suggest trying rice cheddar, it has a mild flavor and melts nicely so if she's used to the more processed cheeses that'll probably suit her best. Again, that pretty much means a trip to Whole Foods. I think it's $3.69 for an 8oz block. There's a widely available soy brand, name escapes me right now but it's a green package and usually sold with the tofu and fake meats. Their slices are pretty good, we like the pepper jack.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Read the label before you buy food

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Your hubby is a moron (no offense) nearly all cheese has some form of milk product in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• soy cheese, depending how lactose intolerant she is, she might be able to handle a little Velveeta,it does not have near the amount of milk as regulat cheese, try a little and see what happens, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• imitation cheese uses mostly oil in it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yes, there is milk in it. I am lactose intolerant and can stomach SOME dairy. It depends on the day. Some days I have no problems other days, I have dairy and am in pain and in the bathroom the rest of the day. I can handle chocolate milk and yogurt with no problems. Skim milk doesn't really bother me either. It really depends on her intolerance level. She may be ok eating small amounts of cheese, you just have to watch how much she ingests.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2009