am 37 weeks pregnant and really scared that my waters might not break bcos with the 1st baby i was induced

is there anything i can do so that it breaks naturally instead of going hospi and break it my water bag was too stiff the 1st time so just worried it might happen like that this time azwell plz help

sum007

Asked by sum007 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know if there is a way to make you water break on its own, but you can walk or have sex to get your labor started! You might have to have your water broken at the hospital again, is there a reason why you don't want too? Probably though if you go into labor naturally, instead of being induced it will happen on its own! Good luck, and happy, healthy, baby to you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my water broke at the start of my labor for my 1st 3, my last one I got to 8cm and was barley in pain! I could talk in between contractions ect.then the doc. broke my water and all hell broke lose. I prefer to labor with my water intact!
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 9:43 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Your water breaking is something that for some doesnt happen until you are pushing. I wouldnt worry too much about it.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It's a myth that a woman's water breaks at the start of labor, that's drama on TV.

Many women's water doesn't break until they are in active labor or until they push or sometimes not until the baby is born (called being born in the caul). All are quite normal.

An intact bag of water prevents cord prolapse (cords float!), provides cushioning and is part of the labor process. Artificially breaking it increases potential for infection (because something is put up the vagina), and may interfere with a woman's normal and unique labor progression. Also if the water is ruptured artificially and the baby's head isn't engaged in the pelvis the cord can prolapse. The excuse they give is to "speed things up" but natural labor has normal and natural lulls in it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• These are fresh, new membranes. They will probably break in labor, this is the norm. About 10% will break before labor starts, and a small few will not break at all and the very lucky baby will be honored to be born en caul (bag intact). The bag does tend to break, eventually, but never *needs* to break at all.
    Keeping yourself healthy and on the normal-natural course is best for baby. Messing with anything could be VERY dangerous. (Like cord prolapse, mentioned above.)

*My intact bag birth was so much easier and smoother than my big with ruptured waters. Seriously~ SMOOTH!! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• The PP was dead on..

Labor after water breaking is also a lot more painful, too..

My mom delivered my brother and I with the water intact. Her water -never- broke.

Don't let them break your water artificially and don't try to do it at home. Don't let them strip your membranes, either, as this can lead to your water breaking. Broken waters create a lot of danger. So does inducing labor. On average first time mom's don't deliver til baby is 41 weeks 1 day. You're not really overdue til 42 weeks, so don't let them talk you into it! Natural is almost always best.

You'll go into labor when your baby is ready to say hello to the world.. And your water may never break or may break very late and that's 100% normal.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:56 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• By the way, the danger of cord prolapse when a baby breaks the waters naturally is almost non-existent.. because the baby broke it by pressing down with their head -- which blocks the cord for escaping. Altho rarely, cord prolapse will happen naturally..

If the doctor does it, the babies head might not be down there blocking the hole and the cord can get through a lot easier and a lot more often.

That's the reasoning behind the natural water breaking being fine and not natural being very risky.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Also it's more common for babies born preterm to have cord prolapse because their heads aren't engaged and they aren't as big.

That's another danger of allowing induction or artificially rupturing membranes early.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 12:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My water has never broken prior to labor, with both babies it broke on its own right before pushing. Its not common at all for your water to break before labor and there is no need at all for your doctor to break it during lab or. If it does not break during labor the baby can be born in the caul and that is considered good luck in some cultures.
    Having a doctor break the bag of waters is not risk free at all, the biggest risk is that of cord prolapse (where the cord comes out before the babies head) and that means c-secion.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2009