My seven year old daughter is asking about sex.

Last night my daughter, Carrie, asked what sex was. She was supposed to be in bed but she wasnt, and overheard me on the phone. I told her to go to bed. I didn't really want to answer that question. Should I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that you need to give her some kind of answer. If you don't then she is going to look for it somewhere else. You can keep it simple and not get into to many details about what it really is. I know when I was pregnant with my DD, my 5 year old wanted to know how the baby got in there.

We had to explain it to him. I would tell her something simple and then ask if she has any more questions. If not then let it go, if she does then answer that question.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If you don't answer her question, she will look elsewhere for the answer.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• thank you. one thing i dont know what to say. do you say something like its when two people really love each othr or something like its how you have a baby. how do i start.
    francescaz

Answer by francescaz at 10:17 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I think you should of gave her some form of answer or at least told her you would talk about it in the morning. My daughter was 6 when she started with the sex questions. I answered every question truthfully but yet in simple terms for her. I started with the "when two people love each other". I also told her that as she got older, I would give her more info about it and how to protect herself.
    Good Luck
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• sex is what you fill in on a form that asks MALE or FEMALE...simple. if she asks more questions, just try to think of the simplest answer. something that only married people do and she'll find out about it when she gets married.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• u should give her an answer mabe not in he right words,tell her its how babies are made or something,or tell her people do it when there 30 and married
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• "something that only married people do and she'll find out about it when she gets married. "

and then when she comes into contact with someone who wasn't married but has sex and has a baby she is confused then you have even more to explain (Much like we had to do with my nephew).. It's better to just say it's something two adults do when they love each other and if she has more questions follow up with that if not just leave it be.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yes, you should answer her questions, age appropriate of course. Do NOT lie, do NOT make things up and do NOT freak out. If you don't answer them, she will go elsewhere and the information she gets in the halls at school from an older child, will not be accurate. Do NOT tell her that is something marked on a box on a form...that is just stupid. When my son asked at that age I told him it was something people in love do in private. It was something special between 2 people in love. He was satisfied with that for a long time. You could also tell her that is how babies are made. If she is askign questions, she is ready for the answers. Don't hide things from her or lie because when she finds out the truth, she may not trust you to answer any other questions and will go elsewhere.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Just tell her she will find out better as she gets older but for right now it is an adult thing that they do. Just only adults do this. (but if you have to give more detail just say it is when a mommy and daddy love eachother so much and that is it) remember she is only 8 as time goes by talk to her so she won't get misinformed. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009