i know people ask all the time, but i have a sleep question

My son is almost 10 months old. He has slept through the night until about a month or so ago, now he wakes up every night usually just once, sometimes twice. Some nights are easy, just find his paci for him and he falls asleep. Other nights he screams and screams and screams. I let him cry for 5 minutes at a time, then go back in. What could be causing him to wake up like this all of a sudden. Nothing has changed except I took off his bumper since he was using it as a ladder, but I think that was before this started. What should I do? CIO? If so does that mean when he wakes up at night just to stay in bed and let him cry, or do I still go in there at least once to make sure he is okay? I'm kinda scared to let him CIO, I know hes old enough but I don't think i am ya know lol. Thanks for any advice.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 10:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They go through growth spurts at this age and also will have sleep distrubances when they are working on milestones(crawling, walking, learning to talk, teething, ect). I personally don't use CIO(I have a 2 1/2 yo who sleeps well), we have always responded to her nighttime needs. I think the fact that you mentioned being "kinda scared to let him CIO" means it isn't right for your family. We are biologically programed to respond to our child's cry's and there isn't anything wrong with that. I would go with the flow for a while and keep an eye out for a tooth popping through or that exciting new milestone!! :)
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 11:16 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My dd is 10 months old too and we are experiencing the same issues as you are. I will wake up w/her twice sometimes three times a night. She isn't hungry (i bf) she just seems to need to be held and loved. So, we usually end up sleeping in the rocking chair and waking up in the morning. I don't mind it but the dh isn't too happy because he thinks I am "spoiling" her by not allowing her to CIO - I personally can't do it but I don't look down on others who do. I want her to feel safe and secure and if it means me not getting my 8 hours of beauty sleep so be it. Good luck momma!!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 11:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2009