Questions for Christians

I grew up Christian, Southern Baptist and was very close with God. Well, 5 years ago, when I moved away from home, I feel far away from God. Got big into drinking, drugs, partying, sleeping around. Well, I got pregnant and married my daughter's husband even though I wasn't in love with him. And ever since then I have been so unhappy. Recently I broke down and cried out to Him and asked him back in my life and have given my life back to Him. Only problem I have now is my husband doesn't like this new side of me and wants nothing to do with God. I have no christian friends and have been pretty much pushing my friends away so they won't keep bringing me down. I want to go to church but my husband works on Sundays and we only have 1 car. I just really feel like I need some Christian support 'cause I just feel so alone in this world. What do you suggest I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• many churches have vans or buses that they use to pick up ppl on Sundays. i would call the church you want to go to & even if they dont have a bus or van im sure they will find a way for you to get to church.

on the DH issue i dont have much advice. the best thing to do would prolly be to leave him be if he wants nothing to do with God. pushing church on him will prolly just make him back away. Good luck & God bless!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:49 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Call your local church and see if they have a van or bus service, your DH may get used to this, remeber he met you as a wild thing, do you think he would go to counseling with you? I know you are doing the right thing by your kiddo, and God will lead you in the right direction, keep praying!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i'm sure your local church, even if not SB, would find a way to get you to church, if you want to attend. you obviously need the support and fellowship of like-believers to strenghten your resolve and heart. you can lead by example to your husband..it may not happen quickly, his desire to attend with you or even to question your faith/beliefs for himself..but you have a responsibility to yourself to remain in the faith. read scripture, pray continually, and remember, your life is your best testimony for your dh to witness. also, if you want your child to be brought up in church, you'll need to start now taking her with you. besides, you could use the encouragement from fellow moms who also might not have a 'faithful' dh. good luck, and stay strong, mama.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't know how big of a town you live in, but a lot of the bigger churches also have services during the week or on Saturday nights. I'd also follow the advice of everyone else and contact the church directly. I'm sure that there is a church member that would be more than willing to pick you up. As for your husband, understand that although this makes things more difficult, the two of you don't have to have the same ideas about everything. Some things couples just don't talk about because they know they won't agree. My husband has a very strong religious background but anyone that meets it would never know it. He doesn't talk about unless someone asks him. His view is that his beliefs are his beliefs and he doesn't feel the need to push them onto anyone else. Just remember that it's not your job to convert your husband and if you try, you may make things much, much worse.
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Have you considered no longer being unequally yoked and find a good Christian man that God wants you to be with?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Love believes the best. I encourage you to continue to pray for your husband and know that God has plans you may not see. i discourage divorce, what many people do not realise about covenant is that it is sacred. You and your husband are bound and altho you didnt love him at that time, God can if you are willing to let him, change your heart toward your husband. You are the witness of Jesus Christ and its you that can pour out that love into your household. Church is a building, although I encourage not forsaking the fellowship, sometimes its hard to get there. How about asking if you can take your husband to work once or twice a month & then use the car then to go to work then pick him up after work. This is how unconditional love works. He still gets to work and you still get to attend church. :-)
    I would disregard the previous poster.. God does not endorse divorce. He is a restorer, not a destroyer of marriages.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• do not leave your husband, I am sure you can find a church with a bus service, all you can do is pray for your husband, I grew up souther baptist as well, I have seen thru my life many moms bring there children to church every serivice and 1 mom in particular was at the altar every chance she got, it took 25 years of marraige and praying till her husband started coming to church with her, a few months later he got saved, I still remember that day, it was so amazing because the whole church had been praying for that man for years! and there are many more moms who stuck it out and finally got there prayers answerd, but do not give up on your husband, the bible says the only justifacation for breaking your vows is adultury. wich means its only ok to leave him if he cheats on you.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 2:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I am also "spiritually single". I agree with Shan, God can and will use you as a witness to your husband. When I returned to practicing my faith, my husband was very resistant to the changes that came with it. I was no longer the woman he'd married. Our lifestyles became so different, we had a lot of issues and drifted apart. Things are so much better now. My husband has a desire for God that shows, though he continues to resist totally submitting to God.
    Continue to pray for your husband and your marriage and watch God reward your faithfulness! Nothing is too hard for the Lord! I'm adding your family to my prayer list.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I agree I would say keep praying and God will lead you. If you need to talk just email and I will listen or read:}
    jkshome

Answer by jkshome at 3:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• don't give up yet. Many people get very off put when people change their lives. You have to give him a chance to see that this is positive change and will make you a better wife and mother. Just because you can not get to a physical building doesn't mean you can not connect to God. There are sermons on youtube you can watch. I know when I was attending a Christian Church, the congregation would work together so everyone could attend church. Everyone would take turns giving rides to other member.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009