In your opinion, which is worse? Welfare question

I'm a 25 year old single mama. For all of you who say, "You shouldn't have kids if you can't afford them," I COULD afford having a child--with two incomes. My SO left, and now there is one, and I'm not going to give up my DD just because times are tough. So, here are my two scenarios: which do you think is worse?

I had my own appt, couldn't afford food. I recieved food stamps and medical, no child support, no cash assistance, no WIC. I worked part time, mostly odd jobs.

Now I have govt assisted housing. My childcare is paid for by having a reduced rent. I am off of foodstamps, and will be off of medical as soon as my job insurance kicks in. I am working full time.

For all you welfare naysayers, which do you think is worse? Not having assistance is not an option unless you can help pay cash for my rent/food. If you are willing to do so, let me know and I will be in contact.

Which do you think is worse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You work hard and are raising a child alone. Your plate is full of worries that at this moment have nothing to do with what others may think. Stay focused. You're doing the right thing for your family =)
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:41 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Neither one is 'worse' you do what you have to do in order to take care of your child. Atleast you were making an effort to care for your child and put a roof over their head. Anyone who says otherwise is just an insecure mindless moron.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:16 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Is your housing safe? I know sometimes government housing can be located in very shoddy neighborhoods.
    If you and your child are safe, it sounds like you're on the right path.
    I agree with Kaleb's mom. Your situation is exactly what our sytem was intended to help.
    Good luck-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I think as long as you are doing your best to get off the assistance and dont plan on relying on it (which it doesnt seem like you are) then you are doing the right thing for you and your child. Good luck.. <3
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• This is what welfare is for. A person who needs it for a short time.

The problem is people who never go out and find a job.

also this is a good listen to learn never depend on two paychecks. If you can not make on one paycheck than do not have kids, buy a home or a car..
    People drop dead, leave or you lose the job. It should be one check pays the bills and the other check go's to savings.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My housing is safe. I have been on welfare since shortly after the birth of DD, who is almost two. I passed up an opportunity to get into housing in April, because the neighborhood wasn't safe. I then got into this housing a month ago after being on the waiting list for a year.

Yes, now I know never to depend on two checks. It truly is hard to do it with one without a college education. I am trying to figure out now how to go to school, work full time, and still have time with my DD without sacrificing in any area. It is SO HARD to be a single mama.

I am confident in what I am doing. I know I am on the right path. I am genuinely curious what the naysayers have to say though--after all, its THEIR precious pennies of tax dollars that are helping to put a roof over our heads, or food in our mouths. I am wondering which they prefer, that my DD has shelter or food using "their tax dollars."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Don't worry about what anyone else has to say you're working so you are paying for the assistance you receive just as much as anyone else is. Take care of you and your little one mama! You seem to be doing an awesome job so keep doing what you're doing. Being a single mom is a shitty job but someone has to do it, Right?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It always irritates me when I hear naysayers whine around saying "MY tax dollars paying for blah blah blah" like it is them and them alone who are footing the bill here. What they don't seem to realize is that the people who are getting the assistance, considering they are working, are paying for it too. There are millions upon millions of us contributing, but yet they always find a way to make it about THEM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If you need help, get it. PA, unemployment, Medicaid, SSI, all are set up as a safety net for our citizens. Hope it helps you get back on your feet.

Take care.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• you are all very awesome :) Thanks for the support. I am pleased to find few naysayers here, one of the few welfare questions without them! --OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2009