How long should I wait

to see if my daugghters fever to go down after taking motrin? It was 100.6 under her arm this morning. she is 22 months old.

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With Motrin it takes a little longer than with Tylenol to go down. That being said, as long as it is not going UP it is working. I'd give Tylenol about 20 minutes to work, Motrin 3/4-1 hour to work, but it lasts longer. I hope she feels better soon!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Oh thats a low grade fever, I really wouldn't worry about it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• That's a really low fever. I wouldn't even have given tylenol for it. Then again, I'm pretty anti medication. DD had a fever of 102.5 the other night, went down to 100.5 without meds by morning. Fevers are there for a reason--to fight infection. Lowering said fever unnaturally (i.e. lowering it with medication or other external factors) lowers the body's capability of fighting infection. Personally, and with the advice of my pediatrician, I only give meds for a fever over 103.5.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• your child has gotten this old without you asking the doctor what to do in case this happens? ask the dr or at least the pharmacist or buy a book on how to raise a child
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Anon 12:44: That was flat out mean! Maybe she hasn't had to deal with a fever in her child or possibly it's been awhile and she can't remember. Didn't your mother ever tell you, if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all?????

Grow up!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If the fever continues for 3-5 days then take her in. If she displays any other symptoms, like sore throat with cough, or a tongue that looks like a strawberry take her in tomorrow. It's hard when they're that young. My children all just got over being sick (well one is but she's fine) and I know I tend to get concerned. Tylenol is best for fevers. Motrin for swelling. Just give lots of water and lots of cuddle time. Pray over her and know God created doctors and medicine. When used properly you're a great mother.
    Applemama

Answer by Applemama at 7:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Wow, some people can be SO mean, why bother even answering? But that is actually a pretty low fever, I wouldn't give her anything unless it goes over 101 (that's just my opinion)!
    AverysMommy5

Answer by AverysMommy5 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2009