3 yr old with night potty problems and behavioral issues due to new baby... any help?

Any tips would be appreciated. his acting out is things i cant ignore like destroying the house and getting into the cabinettes and freezer do treats. and the potty training at night just isn't working too great and i cant afford pull ups anymore. any ideas to help me along? btw new baby is not even two weeks old and i had a c-section so its not easy for me as is. let alone having to chase my three year old around. PLEASE HELP!

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 12:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well I can say that I definately understand. I have two children and my oldest son was 3 when the new baby came along. I also had a c-section. I think its important to give your 3 year-old the same kind of attention you give the baby. I'm not saying treating him like a baby, but I am saying kiss his belly the same way you kiss the baby's belly. When you show the baby affection, show your son the same amount of affection and also make your son your helper. I think if you focus on his emotional issues, then the other issues will subside. My son used to be a bed wetter at that age. I would just change the sheets and act as if its not a big deal. He'll do it once in a blue moon now. I wrote a journal post about how to help your older child adjust to the new baby you should check it out.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You may HAVE to find a way to afford pull ups for during the night, he is still pretty young to be expected to go all night without wetting IMO. Get the walmart brand, they are much cheaper and they work just as well. Sometimes being a parent means sacrificing so our children can have what they need...cut back in other areas, cable, cell phone plan, extras that you like to have but don't NEED.

As for the acting out in a negative manner, I would try to spend time with just him when the baby is sleeping or when DH is around so that he knows he is still just as important and loved as he always has been. A new baby is a huge change, and although I am sure you have talked to him about everything, a 3 year old needs actions to be taken to follow up what he has heard. You have to try your best to be consistent with your discipline as well no matter how tough that may be. Having 2 can be very trying. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yeah, you are going to have to buy pull-ups,especially if he was wearing them before the baby came, he is still young, it's like you are telling him,grow up,you aren't the baby anymore,if, you want him to be good,treat him the same way ,before the baby came, but, including him,when you do for the baby, I know you are tire,I know you are sore, but,your 3 yr. old don't understand none of this.I think you are expecting too much of him all at once, no pull-ups, stop playing like you used too,because I just had a baby,it will get better,but,it takes time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• The only advice I have is the potty training at night, we were just putting him in underwear when we couldn't afford pull ups, and then taking him to the potty twice a night. We make him clean out his own underwear. children aren't expected to be night potty trained fully until like 5 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2009