I need your creativity, like now! How can I clean up the pile of shoes in my entryway? Please read on..i'll keep it short and sweet

As a family of four we have used and broken many shoe organizers in our front hallway.

We don't wear shoes in the house so we take them off at the door.

I am fall cleaning today and want a way to clean up this pile of shoes without going to the store to buy another organizer that will break.

Any ideas or suggestions?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 12:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Sometimes we throw them in a laundry basket, it is not as organized by any means, but it gets them out of the entry way and into a smaller area. I also try to be sure that there are only one pair each downstairs for my DH and myself and the girls have no more than 2 at a time down there. I can definitely relate though, it is frustrating to trip over them all the time and they are an eyesore for sure! Good luck with that! You could also possibly get a wooden bench that opens up and place them in there, maybe you could even find one of those at a thrift shop or something, like during their summer clearance.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• If you need to nix the organizer idea, maybe try a big basket at the door? People have to fish for shoes, but it's lower maintanence than an organizer. You could also use a small book case (bottom shelf) or even a long flower box under your coat rack (that's where we keep our shoes).
    I personally keep my bulk of shoes in my closet and only have our day to day shoes at the door. If I am wearing something nice or need special shoes, they are upstairs...as well as seasonal shoes.

IF you need to try a new organizer, I recommend the ones they sell at Target. It's part of a storage line that has cubes and such. It's plywood and comes in different colors. It is pretty strong and basically looks like a skinny small book shelf for shoes!
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have a trunk near the door for shoes. It is great because the you can use it to sit on as you put on your shoes as you head out the door.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Wish I could tell you. We have a plastic organizer with little cubbies and despite having plenty of room for the myriad of shoes my 4 kids have they refuse to use it. In the winter the shoes get put on a plastic mat to dry but in the summer (unless it rained) they are supposed to go right in the cubby. I have 4 kids and I usually find at least 8 pair of shoes all over the house and they make such a mess in our entry (which is like 3' wide by 4' long) you can't open the front door. Drives me nuts.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I'm with the first poster! We have a storage bench in our foyer, with pull out wicker baskets beneath, where we toss our shoes when we come inside. I'm a big fan of functional yet decorative or multi-purpose furniture! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• http://www.google.com/search?q=shoe+organizers&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8
    try all trhese web sites for ideas. I have seen special cupboards and all sorts of ideas!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I moved an inexpensive bookshelf to my entry, because of the problem. My son (9 yrs old) leaves his shoes directly in front of the door, and my husband leaves his by every chair in the living room. He keeps promising to build a bench seat with shoe storage to put by the entry. I had to stop holding my breath for that. I was turning purple!
    penny4j

Answer by penny4j at 11:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I found a cheap bookshelf, It is bright orange...but functional. I found it at Cost Plus World Market, for something like $19.00. It is perfect for shoes and bags at the front door, and it can be folded up and slid out of the way too. I think the organizers and cubbies are a little limited for usefulness, a nice set of open shelves is a good bet though. You may even find a permanant shelf works nicely, it's what I did in my last home.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 6:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• maybe go to a DIY website and build a sturdy wooden show shelf. Paint it to match your interior color so it looks decorational. We have our shoes lined up on the floor. But since we come in through the garage mostly we have a back of the door shoe rack.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009