How do you keep up on your laundry?

With two kids, well three, if you count my loving hubby and myself. How do I keep up with the laundry? Towels, linens, bedding, bathroom rugs, bibs, clothes, socks... and then putting it all away.

I am overwhelmed and this is MY chore. The kids are too young to help and my hubby has his own overwhelming chores that he does.

HELP!!!! Suggestions?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 12:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I barely keep up on it!
    I do better however, when I stick to my "load a day" rule. I HAVE to do and put away at least ONE LOAD every day. I also cloth diaper and wash those myself, so those take priority over other things too. I throw in a load in the morning, a load before bed and on a good day that we're home, I can do 2 loads during the day.
    Clean clothes only pile up in our room. We never take thte time to put our stuff away so we've been living out of laundry baskets for months! :( I'm determined to nip that one out though.
    Also...check out:
    www.flylady.net if you don't know about it. GREAT resource for homemaking!!!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 1:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I usually do the majority of it on the weekends or on my days off. I have separate laundry baskets for each family member, so if I can't necessarily get it all put away and done, it is at least folded neatly and sorted. I usually put it all away in the evenings after my girls are in bed while I watch TV in my room. I am not the greatest at keeping up on it either, but I do what I can and luckily we all have too many clothes so we never run out of anything. I don't mind doing the laundry, however, I LOATHE and DESPISE putting it all away so I really have to force myself to get it done. Good luck hon, don't stress yourself out though, we have all been there and know what it's like to feel overwhelmed and get discouraged. Just remember, the laundry and cleaning will always be there, kids are only little once, focus some time on the chores, but focus more time on family and the kiddos. <3
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I have 4 kids and it was never a big deal until recently. I did the kids clothes every Sunday. That was about 3-4 loads between the 4 of them. Then I did me and my husband's clothes every other week (would be about 4 loads by then). And I only do bedding and towels when needed (as in we run out of clean ones which can be once a month...we have a lot of towels).
    But I got tired of doing all the laundry for the rest of the family to just toss it on the floor or back in the basket. Now my older kids do their own laundry. They are 9 and 8. They also help the almost 7yo. I made a schedule. Sunday I do my 3yo's laundry. Monday I do towels if needed. Tuesday I do me and hubby's stuff. Thursday I do bedding if needed. Friday my 9yo does her laundry and Sat. my son and mid. dd do their laundry.
    I refuse to wash my dh's clothes if they aren't in the basket and won't put them away for him (they just sit on the floor).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I hate laundry and we dont have a washer and dryer so I made sure each man, woman and child of us have 2 wks of clean clothing. Then I sort it, pack it up and head to the laundromat. On the way I stop for a book at the library. Drop all the loads in the washers and start claiming the big dryers that do three loads at once. Read till the washer are done, move to dryers, read till they start getting done, fold the stuff that matters, stuff the jeans, towels, ect. into bags. Come home and drop the baskets in front of each dresser. I put my stuff and my DS's stuff away and hubby can fend for himself. The towels usually take a day or so to get folded but it only really takes 2-3 hours to get everything done rather than it being a never ending task if I do a load or two a day in the little laundry room we have in our building.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I just toss in a load whenever there's a full basket.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• ugh laundry we have a mutual dislike for each other lol, I start a load first thing in the morning by the time the boys are out the door i can start a new load and then its time to take DD to kindy.

I used to have one day a week but it got crazy with school clothes and sports uniforms, plus hubby wears a uniform to work so now i try to do it everytime a load is ready to go and some days i am so swamped i dont get any done.

In short I have not figured out the secret to winning the laundry battle lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• bah! i hate laundry. i bought enough towels to last a whole 7 days and i have a three bin laundry sorter. i do laundry on sunday and it takes a good 4-6 hours. i do rugs, towels, clothes, bedding, etc. i just keep the dryer running so things dry faster. and i have everything i need in a basket in the laundry room, dryer sheets, different size hangers, baskets, softner, etc. so i don't have to hunt.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 3:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't,There is no way.
    The moment I think I am done here comes another pile! Somebody dirties this OR something pees on that or what ever. Its endless. I have just spent the entire day doing laundry. My dryer takes forever to dry and my washer leaks-I am NOT complaining though. I rember a time not so long ago when dh and I had just married and spent our weekends putting change into washers and dryers at the laundry mat. Lugging our scivies around in the open lol!Thank good ness those days are over!
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• It's a never ending job and I only have one child and my hubby and myself. I do a load or 2 a day if I can. Bed sheets, bathroom rugs, towels, etc definietly take priority once a week. We have to have clean sheets and bedding. Our clothes as soon as they are out of the dryer go right in our drawers.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't know if this helps you, but it helped me tremendously. I bought a free standing clothes pole at Ikea, I love it. It lives in the garage next to the dryer, always full of hangers. I also have a three bag clothes sorter, that is large enough to really be a full load of clothes when full. As soon as the clothes come out of the dryer...they go straight to hangers. This has saved me tons of headache in the laundry wars.. I also invested in a clothes steamer vs an iron, it does take a little practice but works beautifully on tiny baby clothes. Only undergarments go into drawers in my home, so those go into a laundry basket and I go straight into bedrooms to fold and put away...or they might stay in the basket forever. The clothes rack is really the thing that changed my laundry struggles though. Just keep in mind that you need to keep hangers on it, ready to go. Hope that helps
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 6:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2009