Do you have microfiber furniture? Do you Scotchgaurd?

We opted out of the scotchgaurding from the store because they wanted a ridiculous amount. So we bought like 5 cans of Scotchgard and it said to test a spot to see if it was colorfast. Well, my microfiber is a deep red and when I tested a spot, and rubbed it w/a white cloth, it turned pink and so it says not to use. But red always comes off right? do you think I could still spray it w/scotchgaurd? Would you? If I sprayed it lightly?

marihand

Asked by marihand at 1:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• DONT DO IT YOUR GONNA HAVE A PINK COACH! GO THING YOU DID A TEST SPOT INSTEAD OF DOING THE WHOLE SOFA!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• did the spot on the couch turn pink or the white cloth? I am confused.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• We have microfiber couches in our family room, and were told to just use plain water and a lint free cloth--like chamois towels (think "Sham Wow!" LOL) to clean spills as they happen. The chamois towels are great as they soak up the spill by gently blotting the area and without rubbing, so you don't risk wearing out the area or leaving a "water mark" or ring around the area you cleaned.

You can also use a mild warm soap and water solution if you have a particularly messy spill.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• THE WHITE CLOTH TURNED pink. The fabric did not change color. So wouldn't it be okay to use then? I mean no matter what you buy that's red, it will always let go of some red because red is over dyed when they dye things.
    marihand

Answer by marihand at 8:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• i have a microfiber couch but not scotchguarded, baby wipes have been my best friend, everything comes off with it.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• First off, microfiber does not need to be scotchguarded. It is a synthetic fiber that will resist spills anyway, as long as you wipe them up quickly with a clean cloth. Second, the scotchguard spray cans available for consumers to purchase at the store are watered down and weak, and won't make much of a difference anyway. And lastly, if you want to scotchguard it anyway, spray the sofas, then put a fan on them to dry it quickly. It's not going to damage the color. Just make sure they're completely dry before using them again or you may wind up with red color on your clothes. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Don't do it! Even if you scotch gaurd the microfiber will get very dirty. I have the same thing. Microfiber RED sofa and chairs. We paid for the scotch guard. (We have three boys!) But the red has never rubbed off for us!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 8:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2009