sick and breastfeeding?

i have a super bad sore throat since last night and i just feel ick. my son is 2 weeks old and i bf and ff, but the thing is he has been sick and in the hospital so will i make his little life worse right now if i continue to bf? i know when we get sick our breatmilk has some antibodies but the fact that hes already got some health issues, will i just end up making him sick?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call his ped. to be sure, but I think it is better for him to continue nursing as much as possible. Otherwise he will still be around you, but not getting the antibodies, making him more likely to be sick.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 1:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Continue BFing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• BF BF BF in fact stop the formula if you can, formula is not sterile and in fact can make matters worse....breastfeeding is 100% the way to go. Your baby will be around you, so the chances of getting sick is higher but because of the breastmilk the antibodies will help him fight off the illness faster and easier, if he even gets it
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• no he wont catch what u have from breastfeeding,just make sure u wash ur hands brfore u touch him and ect.,if u take medicine only take tylenol,thats safest to take while breastfeeding
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Actually the ABSOLUTE BEST thing you could do for your son right now is to BF BF BF BF BF as much as possible!!!

When you get sick or are exposed to something your body automatically starts making antibodies to it which your baby recieves through the breastmilk.

I am actually sick witht he same symtoms as is my daughter. The pediatrician told me to BF as often as my baby would take it to keep him FROM getting sick or sicker if he does get it.

Also if youcould get rid of the formula, even for a little while, it would be best while your both sick because formula is not sterile and the bacteria found in formula could make things worse for your LO.

GOOD LUCK SWEETIE!!! Hope ya'll feel better soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I HAVE TO GIVE HIM FORMULA BECAUSE WHILE HE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A WEEK I DIDNT BF BECAUSE THEY NEEDED TO SEE HOW MUCH HE WAS EATING, AND I DIDNT THINK TO PUMP SO MY MILK IS ON THE LOW SIDE. HES A BIG BABY(OVER 10 ILBS) AND EATS ALOT..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yes, you should continue to breastfeed.   Here is a lot of helpful info:

kellymom.com :: Should breastfeeding continue when mom is sick?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• He's already been exposed to whatever bug you have. Breastfeeding can only do good things. Illness (other then maybe HIV) is not transmitted through human milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Also, to get your supply up to what he needs, nurse on demand, and try to cut back on a little formula each day. You'll be EBF before you know it! (if that is what you would like to achieve)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Yes you should continue to breastfeed. Actually before you even knew you were sick, he was already getting antibodies to whatever you have. You will be in close contact with him regardless if you bf him or not so you might as well give him those antibodies!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2009