Why are my kittens sleeping in the litterbox?

I have three (lost 3) Kitties that are almost six weeks old. They are weened but they are pooping/peeing on the floor and sleeping in their litterbox. How can I get them litter box trained?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 1:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Well, I'm not an expert, but I have had MANY animals in my years. As for the sleeping in the litter box, I am thinking that it simply feels comfortable to them (think of sitting in a beanbag chair, how it molds to you) and it also radiates their own body heat. Now, to try to reverse this, I would place their poop in the litter box the next time they do it on the floor and gently sit them next to it so they can smell that scent in that area/box. It may take a few days, but hopefully this may work.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 1:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• in addition to what edcmyangels said when you put them in the box take their paw and do a digging motion in the box, they will understand what you are telling them when you do this. I would also take them to the potty box every half hour to an hour, that is how we trained ours. I did giggle at the metal image of the kittens sleeping inthe potty box lol too cute and sort of eww at the same time lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2009