We just got a kitten, is it acting normal?

Its a female around 6-8 weeks old. We've had it 2 days and its always meowing. My hubby says its meowing because it wants its momma. it meows when it eats wet canned cat food too. Its always hiding behind furniture or underneath something. How long will it be before it stops meowing constantly?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2009 in Pets

• This is all very normal. How would you feel if you were yanked away from your mama at this age? Have you ever heard a mama cow after they take away her babies? She is constantly carrying on for about two days- it's the saddest thing I have ever heard. Just give it plenty of room to explore and it will eventually come around.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• this is very normal, I am currently raising a litter of kittens with momma cat here in the house and 2 of the babies left home a few weeks ago. I think 6 weeks is too early to take them away, It can be done we got one of ours when she was 6 weeks but she was very scared and she took alot of work. I prefer 8-10 weeks since that way they are more independent. Try waiting till the kids are in bed and the house is quiet to sit on the floor and earn the babies trust play with her and talk to her softly, pet her, let her come to you. If your kids are chasing her around and she wasnt used to this at her old home then she will most likely hide quite a bit till she is used to it. Be patient and give her love, she will be okay, it will just take time.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Your husband is correct. I would say she will cry for a week or so. Try putting a stuffed animal where she sleeps, to make her feel like she isn't alone. You could also let her sleep in a box in your room with some blankets. My kitty did that for a few nights until he settled down. Five years later, he wants nothing to do with me!! lol.
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 6:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• very normal try picking her up and giving her attention also give her her own box with a stuff animal to sleep with i know some people go as far as putting a wined up clock ina towl and seting in the kitty's box the sound is suppose to sooth them
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2009